Chapter 24 - A Letter and Disappointment

When I woke again, the headache was gone—replaced by intense hunger pangs. It was dark, and I had a vague memory of a fever. How long the doors had been shut on me this time was impossible to tell.

My mouth was dry and foreign and tasted horribly bitter. I stirred slightly, wishing death would take me. I truly wanted nothing more than to die right here and now.

Well, no, actually, that wasn't true at all. I wanted to live. To actually live. I wanted to leave the throes of the political life behind me and live out the rest of my days in peace and quiet. I wanted to have my own life.

The door opened. This time, however, Flora's odious face wasn't the first thing to greet my eyes. A middle-aged woman was looking down at me with a pair of severe eyes. She took one whiff, screwed up her nose in disgust, and disappeared. The fresh air from the outer room and the quiet murmur of voices were the only things that kept me from thinking I'd finally lost my mind.

And then there was Liesl. Her big eyes were full of pity as she looked at me, and she stooped down with a gentle smile. Could I be dreaming?

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up." She said softly, reaching out and taking my hand.

She was really here. Ignoring the pain it caused, I pushed myself up and fell into her arms. I didn't know how she'd found me or what we would do next, but I didn't care. She was here, and that was enough. Heedless of my stench, she wrapped me in a comforting hug.

"Sh, it's all right." I hadn't realized I was crying until her gentle hand was patting my back. "We don't have much time, though. I barely managed to come in here as is."

I straightened. "How did you find me?" I sounded childish even in my own ears.

"You'd be surprised how news travels around a palace of this size. Myrtle kindly informed me there was another person in the room she was tending to, but there was no way for me to get in." Liesl said.

Practical as ever, she pulled me carefully to my feet. I waver unsteadily, and she wrapped an arm snuggly around me as she led me to the adjoining bathroom.

"Lady Una has been trying everything to get to you, but even she can't infiltrate a guest's room without reasonable cause, and you are worth little in the king's eyes—especially after what happened in the courtroom." She explained as we walked.

There was a bath filled with water, and she stripped my once fine underthings off me and helped me climb into it. My skin was mottled and bruised, and my rank scent was almost overwhelming. My vision swam slightly, and it took all my strength to maintain consciousness.

"Drink this." Liesl gave me a cup, but my hands were shaking so badly, she had to hold it while I drank. "What have they done to you?" She said, breathing a stream of curses.

It was the first time I'd heard someone so dainty and ladylike swear, and I looked up at her in surprise. There was unmistakable rage in her eyes, and I realized she was angry on my behalf. A hollow feeling welled within me, and I struggled to swallow around the sudden lump in my throat.

"I'm no better than they." I said, finally finding my voice. Whatever had been in that cup was stimulating my senses, and I felt stronger already.

"What are you talking about?" She scoffed.

"I repaid Una's kindness by stealing from her." Tears welled in my eyes at the confession. "How can I ever face her again?"

"Wha—oh." Liesl sat back on her haunches, realizing. "You're talking about Aidan, aren't you?" I nodded, and she breathed a sigh. "Matters like these are never simple." She bit her lip.