VIII

In everything I do, she's there

In everything I do, she's there. In every decision I make, in every word I say, she's with me. Her words have long been a permanent fixture in my brain. Her wisdom has proved to be right time and time again, very often saving me from others and myself. The countless times she told me how to act. How to handle situations caused by the person who was supposed to be guiding me. The times she was more of a mother figure than my own.

That's why I listened to her.Not because I thought her advice was always right, but because she was the only one offering any. 'If you talk too much you can't listen.' Marley had once told me. That advice has become one of my most valuable resources. Listening has served me well.

Sitting in the car with Liam and Henry, it was quiet. The kind you created intentionally. The kind of quiet that allowed you to listen. I was looking out the window, watching the town of Harlan Maryland go by. It wasn't an interesting town, it could be considered plain even, but I took in every detail of it still trying to swallow that this was my new home.

"What do you think?" Liam asked from the driver's seat. "About Harlan I mean." He glanced at me in the revue mirror making sure I understood his question.

"It's...nice." I responded honestly. I didn't like it any more or less than Brinley. It was too different to compare. Besides, I had yet to meet anyone from this town besides my family. After I had gone to school, perhaps I would be able to make a more detailed analysis.

"Different from Georgia I assume?" Liam was a talkative person. He likes conversation and it was evident to me that the silence I had created was making him uncomfortable.

"Very." I agreed.

"What was life like in Georgia?" Henry spoke for the first time since we left. He was more like me in the aspect that he didn't seem to mind the quiet. Although, with the permanent neutral expression he held, it was rather hard to truly tell what he minded and what he didn't.

"It was..." I struggled to find a word that would convey both a truth and a lie. "...Different." I settled. It wasn't a lie, just a vague truth.

"Different how?" Henry pressed. I found it odd that he had barely spoken a word to me, yet now he wanted a detailed description of my life.

"Well, I lived in an apartment in a small town. It was just me and Mom. It was warmer there." I was aware he was asking more about what life was like in the sense of how I lived, but what I said was still the truth. Even if vague.

"What about school? Have a lot of friends?" He had turned around in his seat, so that he was watching me with intense, questioning eyes. As if the answer to this question held some sort of unknown power.

"Um, I tend to be pretty shy, so I didn't have a lot of friends." I mumbled playing with the hem of my shirt.

"What about your Mom? She did a lot with you?" It was as if he knew something and was teasing me with it, in a way that I was not finding amusing. I narrowed my eyes at him slightly, not appreciating the 3rd degree integration.