Eight

27 April 2012
Worli, Mumbai

I'm here in a meeting and this woman won't stop looking at me.

Khushi giggled as she sat on her desk, eating her subway while reading the text. A bunch of papers were thrown astray around her and she sighed, realising she had to clean it up soon. Her cabin was a mess.

I don't blame her, if you would leave the house looking so amazing, it is difficult to keep one's eyes off you.

Keeping her phone on the table, she finished her sandwich and went to throw the wrapper in the dustbin in the kitchen pantry. When she came back, she saw that she had a text. Of course he would reply soon, she giggled thinking. She crossed her leg.

Are you flirting with me Khushi Mehra?

Khushi giggled.

Yes. I think by the virtue of being your girlfriend, I have this much right.

Leaning in her chair she looked around her office. She was galactically proud of this place that she had built with her heart and sweat. It was close to seven years since she had left Delhi and now Mumbai was her home. It had taken her a long time to find her footing, to reacquaint herself with the new found independence. Her marriage had brokered a deep hurt inside of her, breaking a large chunk of her. But she was unfettered, she pieced herself again, slowly, gradually and firmly. It had been a long, tedious and painful journey but there was no part that she wasn't proud of, especially the ones where she stood up for herself.

Once she had stepped out of Delhi, she had decided to honour her dead parents and claim their name back. It had nothing to do with the events that had ensued before she left, but with the fact that now was the time she felt that she needed her parents the most. She had that this surge of energy the day she had decided to adopt their name. She felt that her name now gave her the strength and power that her parents possessed. It felt like the minute she acknowledged them, she not only had their blessings but their guidance and their perseverance.

Buaji had been the first one to accept her decision. To make her own life and to honour her parents. It had baffled her for a while but the tight hug her aunt had given still gave her the comfort. Unlike other times where her aunt would often jump to conclusions, Buaji had been oddly receptive. A smile adorned Khushi's face as she thought about her family in Delhi. It had been tough to explain her endeavours to them they still had their reservations and grievances. It was not an everyday occurrence in the Gupta household that a girl announced her wish to divorce and went against the norms of the society. Nor was it normal for her to renounce Devi Maiyya.

Her reverie broke as she heard her cellphone chime.

Yeah, obviously. ;) However, I'd be more comfortable if this person would speak to my face instead of my chest.

Babe, so does every other woman in an official meeting. At least they would take you seriously, since you're a man.

Touché.

Welcome to the other side of the world. You're being acquainted to how every woman has felt, at least once in her life time. I am so glad your feminist orientation has begun.

Hey, I am a feminist. And a proud one, that to!

I know. Just, now you're taking it to the next level. The level of empathy.

I love when you talk feminism to me. You're leaving me hot and bothered.

Was that an attempt to steer the conversation?