Nine

10 October 2009
Bandra, Mumbai

Khushi looked around her house in Bandra. A modest accommodation she had worked very hard to get and had hoped to buy sometime soon. The apartment was full to the brim, with the unannounced guests who had showed up at her door, early in the morning. Khushi had just come back from her shoot to see a fleet from Delhi and would have slipped out if Payal hadn't seen her.

With the distraught looks on their faces and of a certain Raizada, Khushi could somehow decipher the reason behind their arrival.

"Didi, maine aloo chaunk diye hai, aur kuch bana hai?" Radha, her househelp enquired as Khushi stood near the threshold of the kitchen.

"Mere liye chai banado please!" Khushi requested, holding her head.

The surprise visit had overwhelmed her. She had successfully put her distance from the Raizada clan in the past four years, to nurse her own wounds and to contemplate on life.

True, initially she had had a good time with them, especially with Anjali Ji and NK. They had took part in her insane pranks and her curious plans to infuriate the man of the house. But ever since the Shyam fiasco, she found herself wanting to get some distance. And she had been grateful that Nani Ji had granted her the space she had asked for.

However, today. She just didn't know what to think of it. They had come bearing gifts and with the idea that Khushi would jump at the chance to get back with Arnav. And she knew this delusion had ben fostered by the man himself, who despite her resistance, had kept reiterating his need for her.

What a daft.

It had irked her too much that neither Arnav nor the family had had taken even a few seconds to hear her out. They were still discussing excitedly, what needs to be done for the assumed impending wedding.

Radha had been quick to notice that her didi didn't seem rather interested in the proposal and had found it amusing that her Amma had seem to going into fits of tears every time any ritual was mentioned.

Taking a large sip from the cup, Khushi felt some energy restore in her. The throbbing seemed to ease, Radha always made wonderful tea. With the right mix of spices and ginger, the tea was downed in large sips. Keeping the cup near the sink, Khushi passed a grateful smile to her help and walked out of the kitchen.

Her family needs to be prepared for an earful.

"I think next week is a good date. 17th is Diwali as well, what could be a more auspicious time than that?" Anjali had a huge smile on her face as she patted the head of her three year old kid who was sitting in her lap and fidgeting.

"Anjali bitiya, whatever date you chose is okay with us." Buaji told the woman and smiled when she saw Khushi walk towards them. "Arrey titiliya, why don't you come with us today and finalize the clothes you will wear?"

"Buaji, AR will give her the bridal clothes from its latest collection. She is going to be my wife, so its only fitting that she wears a dress designed by my company."

"Yes. AR has the most exquisite designs. And getting an outfit from there is a symbol of respect and fortune."

Khushi closed her eyes and sighed.

"I am not going to wear anything from AR." She said resolutely, making the family look at her in shock. "Not that anyone seems to care, I can afford my own dress."

Anjali pursed her lips, realizing she probably offended her to-be sister-in law by insinuating that she needed to be gifted clothes. Looking around the house when she had entered, Anjali had been proud that Khushi had been able to built everything herself. The house had been modest but was kept with a lot of love. Everything seemed to be having a fitting place.