𝟹𝟹 ❁ 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚔𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚑𝚎𝚛

Kayanna let out a sigh as the Cameron residence came into view. The day hadn't even started and she was already over it.

She started down the driveway and then turned towards the side of the house. She didn't need to knock on the door. She could wait at the dock. She felt safer being outside anyways. She walked around the the house and began hearing the dock.

"You made it." A voice startled her from behind.

"Did you give me a choice?"

Ward just chuckled, as if she was making a joke. "Relax, you'll have a good time." He said, walking on the dock. Kayanna followed after him, soon nearing the boat at the end of the dock.

"Morning boss." John B spoke, his face turned down as he worked on some fishing gear.

"Yes it is. Look at you already hard at work." Ward replied, a kind smile on his face. He stepped onto the boat and Kayanna followed.

"Kay." John B nodded, acknowledging Kayanna's presence. 

The greeting surprised her but she went along with it. "John." She nodded back.

"Alright, are we ready?" Ward asked, placing his cooler down and turning to the teens.

"Yeah."

"Alright, push us off."

John B pushed the boat away from the dock. "Guffy said he got into it pretty good just north of Big Rock ." He suggested.

"Guffy huh?..." Ward thought, rubbing his chin. "With the mouth on him, there'll be about  boats up there already. I saw we go south. Swansburrow Hole." He said, walking towards the wheel. "It'll be just us down there."

John B furrowed his brows, but dismissed whatever he was thinking. "Okay, sounds good."

"Alright, I'll start us off." Ward said, walking to the driver room.

It'll just be them down there.

"What?" John B asked, his eyes focused on Kayanna who hadn't moved.

"It'll just be us?" Kayanna nodded towards the direction Ward had gone in. "Do you really think that's good?"

John B rolled his eyes. "Relax. It's not like he's gonna do anything."

"Yeahh."

"What? What's he gonna do?" John B pressed, already annoyed at Kayanna's unwillingness to get along with her own father. At least she still had one. "What has he ever done to make you hate him?? Huh?" He snapped, stepping closer to her.

Kayanna kept her eyes on his. If it was any other topic she would have shrunk away. But this was about her mother. Who had died for nothing. She had died because Ward didn't like something she said. He didn't like someone standing up against him. And for that, she died. Kayanna couldn't be strong for herself. She had tried. It never worked. But she could be strong for her mother. She would be strong for her.

"He didn't do anything to me." Her voice cut through the air confidently. "He did it to my mom." She spoke, her eyes never leaving his.

John B's brows furrowed. His previous irritation replaced with confusion and uncertainty.

"He killed her." Kayanna's voice came out strong and emotionless. "Shot her."