Chapter 2 Looking into the eyes of darkness

After Damien and Alice's moment together, Alice took Damien's hand and they headed down to the main deck where all the ship's crew could go to let off steam with a variety of activities, there were various stores, restaurants, VR centers, and all sorts of establishments to go to. The Umbra while not the largest ship in the U.S.S.A. Measured at a little over 1330 meters in length. It was still very impressive in size and was a small city in itself. Upon taking the maglev elevator down to the main deck the two could only hear the sound of all kinds of music, bustling stores, and people talking. They were also surrounded by the strong smell of food from all the restaurants around them.

"I could never get tired of this place," Alice said looking all around her and then at Damien with her pretty olive-green eyes, Damien took almost every chance he could to admire her and her radiant blond hair.- "This ship's market is definitely a lot better than the rec rooms of all the other ships and outposts I've served at. I just don't like how busy it always is." Damien said catching up with Alice. "So where do you want to eat?" I think we should go to..." - "You always go to that Japanese place!" Alice interrupted. "You have to try other places while we're still here; maybe we could try that French restaurant or maybe that...no that place seems kind of rundown."  Alice said indecisively - "We could go to that Greek restaurant."  Damien suggested. "Why because I'm half Greek?" Alice said with feigned indignation. - "Well no I just thought it would be something different; I could actually use a drink."- "We could go to the Eclipse; it's basically the only good bar on this ship, god I just hope the captain isn't there. Alice said shuddering. "Don't get me wrong, he's nice and all but it's just that Voidrians creep me the hell out, don't they unsettle you at all?" -"They did when I first met one but I'm kinda used to them now other than their weird mouths." - "For me, it's their eyes; it's like looking into nothingness, I can't stand it." Alice wrapped her arms around Damien's arm and gave it a tight squeeze. After the two finished their conversation, they head inside the eclipse for their date.

When they got there, the place was bustling with coworkers mingling and drinking while watching different kinds of sports, human and Voidrian. "Oh wow it's really busy tonight, it's gonna be difficult to get to the bar," Alice said wide-eyed in surprise. Damien let out an irritated grunt, Damien's large size, especially in full armor made it difficult for him to move in large crowds but at least it put a barrier between him and the outside world, just the way he liked it. The two after a bit of maneuvering finally made it through the crowd to the bar counter. "Hello what can I do for you two tonight?" the bartender asked. "I'll have a greyhound please," Alice said quickly after. "How about you um sir, we actually have a special for members of security." - "I'll have that and a bottle of whatever your strongest beer is?" Damien ordered. "Ah I'll bet a big strong guy like you wants a big strong beer, I know just the thing, I will be right back." The bartender said and then went to go get their drinks. -"I wish there was a drink special for scientists; that would be nice." Alice sighed. -"Why? For studying alien pottery?" Damien said mockingly.- "Ouch that actually kind of hurt, I do way more than just study 'alien pottery' at least I don't just wander dark and creepy hallways." - "Ha you got me there." Damien chuckled.

-"Oh you should've ordered food, I completely forgot to." - "I will when he comes back, plus you have to actually decide what to have, remember last time when you accidentally ordered chicken nuggets at that one fancy restaurant we went to?" -"Oh don't remind me of that, that was way too embarrassing." -" Ok enough of me making you feel bad, remind me of something embarrassing?" "Ok let me think hmm...remember when you brought me to that military training and you were going against your friend and you fell on your face climbing over that bar, I thought you had broken your neck or cracked your head open." Damien looked down in embarrassment; Alice could tell how he felt even if she couldn't see his face. "How about we take that dumb helmet off, kinda hard to drink with that bucket on your head. "Alice tried taking Damien's helmet off but it wouldn't budge. - "Oh oops the locks are still on."  Damien said as Alice struggled to try and take his helmet off, but before she could get it off Damien noticed a figure walking toward his and Alice's way, it walked on four spindly dark grey legs, the sound it made as it walked its way towards them was disturbing in of itself. the sickly wet sound of its feet hitting the ground, the uncomfortable shifting sound of its grey carapace, and the three vacuous holes in its head. One where its mouth is and two where its eyes should be; as if looking into the eyes of darkness. It was the captain.