Chapter 87 | Wherever You Go

Tears slid down her chin and into the puddle below her feet. Jingrui stumbled away from Lingyue's body, feeling empty.

The throne hall was not as clustered as before. Too many had fallen, and only the most competent still stood. Prince Zhanying was worn out. Sweat dripped from his forehead, and his hair that was previously tied up with a crown had fallen. He looked grim and blanched off colour. Blood soaked his hanfu and stained his pale skin.

He swung his sword to his side as he made way towards her. Swaying, she also found herself drawn to him.

To her, the hatred and sorrow within the world that lacked solace had ended, and all she yearned for was to be in his embrace. But she knew for him, it was far from over.

The people on Prince Zhanying's side were still clashing swords against the enemies. The throne still stood empty above blood and corpses. A shadow filled with hatred and fueled with vengeance still veiled over him. His ambition was still far from his reach.

He took a deep breath as he forced himself through the crowd and towards her. "Have you really forgiven Lingyue?" His voice tore out of his throat, angry and cold. "She had killed your loved ones. Your dreadful days of suffering in pain were due to her, and now that you have the opportunity, why would you toss it away?"

Jingrui bit the seam of her lips. Her heart squeezed at his words. There were men hurling at them, but without flitting a gaze, Prince Zhanying reeled his sword and they went flying. When he was near enough that her hazy sight could grasp over his features, she realised that his eyes were laced with veins. Blood within his face was drained, and his nails had gone a dark shade.

"Have you really forgiven her?" Prince Zhanying's voice croaked from his throat.

Jingrui looked at him. Her eyes no longer held life, seeing him trapped within hatred and dying from the heated poison. "What is the point of revenge and what is the point of hate?" She asked and chuckled. "All these time, I've drowned myself in the need for revenge, but now I finally understand. I would rather live never forgetting than letting evil consume me. In the end, no one can come back to life. In the end, I would still be alone."

Her limbs were heavy as she dragged herself closer to him. Her eyes wavered with a torrent of pain, yet they were dried of tears. "I can forgive Lingyue. I can even forgive Yihuai." A bitter chuckle ripped up her throat, and she shook her head. "Yet, you can't forgive me."

Prince Zhanying's face was filled with shadow, and he twirled gusts of power, killing the constant enemies that launched at them. "I am not one to forgive."

Jingrui sniffled and nodded. "I know."

"If you know then get back behind the thrones. I'm tired of fending for you while conversing with you right in the middle of a battlefield," he told her with absoluteness weaved in his voice.

Jingrui blinked and realised that she had strayed right to the middle of the throne hall. She swallowed down the painful lump. Her head lowered, and she forced every inch of her to turn away from him. As she was about to walk towards the thrones where Lingyue's battered body laid, her breath caught in her throat.

Lingyue was gone.

Her breathing quickened, and she scanned around for the sight of the sadistic Empress Dowager. The battle was too hustling that she could not see the faces clearly. She wheeled back towards the Prince who had his back to her and busy fending off the enemies. "Your Highness, Lingyue, she's-" Jingrui cut herself short when the same shadowy figure that stabbed Prince Zhanying flashed past the corner of her eyes. She grimaced.

That psycho just doesn't die.

She gritted her teeth, but before she had time to summon a weapon, Lingyue brushed past her and appeared right before her, bearing her bloodied teeths. A smile stretched the corners of her mouth up towards her ears, and her eyes formed a narrowed crescent.