Chapter 90 | Upon the Empty Thrones

A fortnight had passed since Jingrui woke up, and that morning, Zhanying was due to be crowned. He gave a heavy sigh as he stood in the middle of the inner courtyard, watching the peach blossoms tree blooming with the most vibrant colours.

While his world was filled with colours, Jingrui had become blind.

He tilted his head towards the sky, his heavy crown dangling from atop his head. He wasn't sure himself if he would do good as the Heavenly Emperor. In his life, he had never thought of having the throne. He never thought of an uprising. But those who were brimmed with greed had played with a storm, and now this was the outcome of fate.

Zhanying knew he was never one with a good moral standing. He had slaughtered the innocence just as much as Yihuai did. The most poisonous hate that ran deep within his veins had turned him into a rigid person in the deepest pit of the abyss.

But at least, he had his flame; one that burnt with the most will, and one light up his world. With her, he was turned from someone without love to someone who could love with his whole heart.

Glancing at the sun, it was time he made way towards the throne hall to be crowned. He knew that during the coronation, he must also settle all the punishments from the old reign. For that, his heart was heavy.

For Jingrui, the game may be over; she had forgiven. But for him, he must move the last piece and call a checkmate.

Jingrui ran from the compound. Her red dress embroidered with refined golden silk fit over her and flowed along the wind. A crown adorned her head, glittering in the sun.

Running fast, she tripped over the stairs and he had to catch her. A sigh parted his lips. "How many times must I tell you not to run around when you can't see?"

"That's because you refused to teach me how to use my other senses," she grumbled.

"I didn't refuse you. But training your senses can't be done in one day." He held her upright as he guided her out of the Floating Abyss Palace and towards the throne hall. "Why are you wearing the wedding gown? Today is my coronation, not our wedding."

Jingrui grinned. "I can't see what I wear. Madam Fu must be really excited for our wedding, and she fit me in this."

Zhanying tilted his head to the side. "Then, next time, I'll make sure to be the one who dresses you. Then, you would wear more appropriately, don't you think?"

Her face flushed red and turned away from him, pretending not to hear. He chuckled as they walked through the path towards the throne hall.

The alleyway was familiar to him, and as they walked on, he found that he no longer had to lower his head. The palace was no longer a Hell that was burning him alive. It was filled with freedom and life. It was the victory he had seen when he first regained his eyesight.

They entered the throne hall. The blood was cleaned off the marble floor, and the broken pillars and glass plane were repaired. Although he could still smell a stench of blood, he shook it off as his hand on hers squeezed. 

The golden carpet led them straight to the golden throne he had never wanted. The burden the throne posed weighed his steps, and he took a deep breath before taking a seat. Jingrui sat down beside him, sweat dripping off her forehead at the eyes of the deities.

Zhanying lay back on the throne, his forehead resting against his fist. "Bring in the convicts," he demanded, and at his divine words, the guards dragged the beaten figures into the hall; his father, brother, and Lingyue.

Both Yihuai and Yunyin were sullen, while Lingyue's voice was heard even from a distance. She screeched and writhed within the guards' grips. Her clothes were robbed of luxury. The ornaments that previously camouflaged her hair, were stripped off. They threw her onto the floor, and she gritted her teeth, glaring up at Zhanying. "Bastard prince!" She fumed, bubbles foaming in her mouth. "Get off the throne now, get down now! That throne is my son's. It is meant to be my son's!"