Chapter 9

We were a minute too late. The guards would have already changed and we would be stuck outside the apartment. What would happen when the doctor showed up and found us missing?

"What do we do?"

"Let me go out. I'll say you've been inside all day and that only I snuck out. I'll let you back in when they change again. There's not much else my father could take from me but I don't want him to take your dream of being a doctor."

"No. This was my bad decision too. We go together." I insisted. I couldn't let his father blame him for what was my mistake. I could have stopped him and I didn't.

We both stepped out into the hallway and...there were no guards in front of the apartment!

As fast as we both could move, we made our way to the apartment door.

Cade punched in a code on the door and it lit up red and beeped.

"Shit!" He cursed softly.

"What's wrong?"

Suddenly, I heard the elevator ding! It was probably the guards!

"I forgot the code."

"Oh my god, Cade! Do something! The guards are coming." I whispered.

He punched in another code and the light lit up green and the door opened.

The apartment was dark and no one was there.

We had made it.

"Go back into your room and wait for the doctor to come." I told him as I flopped down on the couch and turned the TV on.

From the corner of my eye I detected movement. When the light from the TV lit up the room, I could see a man sitting on a chair in a dark corner.

I jumped up and fought the urge to scream.

"Emily. Sit down and be quiet, please."

George!

That was it. I was going to lose my job. The only other thing I could do would to be a substitute. If someone called out sick, they would put a substitute in their place. It was the only jobs you could get without a profession. They still paid close to the same you would get working a full-time job. I just wouldn't be a nurse anymore.

"It was you in the promenade." I was whispering.

I assumed George wanted to keep our conversation from Cade.

"Yes."

"So, that's it? Are you just waiting for the doctor to get here?" I asked.

"No, Emily. Please explain to me why you would put your profession on the line to defy the President's commands?"

He looked amused.

"Because no one should have to be locked up all the time. It's unhealthy and if the doctor says otherwise, he's lying."

Screw it.

I was already ruined. Why not put another nail in my coffin.

George looked surprised by my answer.

"I agree."

Wait. What?

"What?"

"I agree. It is unhealthy. I will inform the President of his son's progress." George stood to leave.

"What the fuck?"

George turned back in shock.

"You scared the hell out of me today!" I tried to keep my voice down but my anger forced it above a whisper.