Chapter 10

As soon as I walked in Cade demanded to know what George had said.

"He told me the next time I had a crazy idea to let him know first." I said.

"He couldn't say that to you in front of me?"

"I think he really just wanted to make sure I wouldn't do anything stupid like this again."

Cade nodded but didn't look convinced.

"This is just fucked up. Even a man in actual prison gets to leave their cell more than once a week." He grumbled.

"Why can't you be happy that you have one day a week?"

"Because I'm a grown man. I'm going to lay down." 

 He was angry. Not at me, but at the entire situation. I couldn't blame him but why couldn't he see the bright side of this...he could leave.

A week later, George showed up.

"Are you ready?"

Cade walked into the living room, still holding on to his crutch. He was getting better and wouldn't need it soon. He was doing well with less pain medications and working out with Kay. Ugh. Kay. The beautiful blonde that got to help him stretch out his muscles.

"This is a joke, right? You're not going to babysit me!" Cade argued.

"I don't want you out alone, Mr. Chase." George said formally.

I couldn't take my eyes off of George. He was ruggedly handsome but well dressed. He was the perfect mix of rugged and sleek. His hair was a little long on top and his muscles strained against his clothing. I tried to stop staring but I couldn't.

George noticed and smiled. It was a secret smile, just for me. I didn't think Cade noticed.

"Why can't I go out with my nurse like I did last time?" Cade asked looking at me. 

 I was sure he caught me staring at George. I was finally able to look away.

I could almost feel him in the room. He had an air of authority about him that made you not want to question him. He knew best. I wasn't sure who George was as a person but I couldn't help but want to.

"Ms. Smith will have her own time to attend to her own personal things." George looked at me and smiled.

Why was he so kind? He didn't have to do any of the things he was doing.

Cade looked at me again, waiting for me to argue with George but I did want some free time. At the very least, to check on my apartment.

"Cade, if it's ok with you, I'd like to check on my apartment and I can meet you on the promenade for lunch?"

"Ok." Cade looked dejected but I needed some space.

It's not that I wouldn't enjoy spending the whole day with two incredibly handsome men. I just needed to go home for a bit.

The guards left with George and Cade. I was totally alone and once I left the apartment, I would no longer have cameras on me!

I walked slowly to my apartment. I was just enjoying my freedom. I wondered what it was like to have been free on Earth. I couldn't imagine being able to walk outside in the sun! The Earth had so many more people and yet, Cade was able to hide from his father there.

I made it to my apartment and everything seemed in order. I took a few extra things and put them in a bag to take back to Cade's apartment.

Would I see Cade after my assignment was over? Between working and the additional schooling I will need, would I even be able to find the time to see him? It was the same story all over again. I never had time for a relationship. Not that I wanted a relationship with Cade.