Chapter 26

"Kill me," I said softly with a sweet smile. "Kill me, god of order."

"Do you know what you're saying?" the god of order demanded, raising his forever calm voice. He looked annoyed, frustrated even. All the calm he had before was gone. 

"Of course." I placed my hands on his shirt and pretended to smooth the non-existing crease. "You know that, it's a witch hunt. We either go down together, or you can choose to kill me. Then you can live on as the god of order." 

I glanced up and smiled like how I usually did when I was about to do something to annoy him. "So kill me. Look how nice of me, sacrificing myself to save you."

"I refuse." 

"You saved me back then, now I save you once. We're even." I smiled cheekily. 

I grabbed his hand and placed it on my cheek. "Kill me, god of order. I don't want them to do it. At least dying in your hand, under the full moon, I am quite satisfied." I chuckled. "A pity I could not beat you once in chess." 

He tried to struggle out of my hold. "I won't let them taint your name," I said firmly. "Only I can spread bad rumors of you. Kill me." 

"I refuse," he refuted firmly. 

I eyed the gods and goddess surrounding our home, they would have taken action if not for the ward god of order had placed around us. But that could not stop them for long. There were more than ten of them. 

"You know that, we don't have a choice." I smiled. "Please take care of my kind for me."

"Stop smiling."

I widened my smile. "Without me, promise me to show those annoying gods a lesson." 

"They could frame me all they want."

"It's a lost cause. They are determined to kill me. They considered me a threat, even with the countless of spells they put on me. You know that."

"I will not let them."

"Can you still protect us when they strip you of your power? Don't be silly," I chuckled.

His hand on my face trembled. He knew he couldn't. They planned to strip him of his title and his power, saying that he was a disgrace to the gods. The gods were a power-hungry bunch, they did not like someone hanging over them. They did not like the god of order binding them with rules. They were also extremely patience, they could take nearly three thousand years to make use of Rachelle to pull down the god of light. Similarly, they could also wait three thousand years to use me against the god of order. 

Three thousand years might seem long, but it's nothing to them. Even though, in these three thousand years, the god of order rarely appeared in front of them. That didn't mean they didn't want to take away the god of order's right and power to control them. They had bid their time. No one would suspect a thing, it's been three thousand years, were you sure the god of order would not be corrupted by the Siren? The Siren was known for her power to hypnotize and corrupt one's heart. 

What a nice plan. They had us from the start. And the god of order knew it. That's why he had laid low for three thousand years. He never left the Woods once to keep those gods in order. With how the gods were three thousand years ago, I doubt they wouldn't not have broken the rules once these past thousand years. He even pushed off dealing with Rachelle and the god of light.

That's really unlike him. The god of order before my imprisonment was known for his strict rules and nightmarish lectures to the gods. I should have realized sooner. He was laying low to try to protect me. He knew I was still a target to the other gods. By not appearing in front of the other gods, they wouldn't be reminded of him and thus me. 

But even if the god of order could save me this time, what about next time? I was a liability, a perfect excuse for the other power hungry gods to make use of. By just surviving, living as a prisoner under the guard of the god of order, was a sin. If I was taken away from the equation... 

"Without me, you can still be the god of order. You'll still be without flaws. Admit it, I'm your weakness. I'm the liability here. I'll not let myself be the downfall of you. If you don't do it, I'll do it myself." I circled my hand around my neck and stared determinedly at him. 

I would not let him be framed in this ugly power struggle. Definitely not because of me. I did not know where this thought came from. He should stay holy, untouchable like the moon hanging in the sky. Just like that time he came to save me three thousand years ago amid the moonlight. 

He froze and then finally after a long pause as if admitting defeat, he heaved a sigh. Just like what he had done million of times in the past three thousand years when he finally gave in to my stubbornness. His hand touched the ribbon tied over his eyes and tore it down, showing his silver eyes. 

"After three thousand years, your eyes are still the same," I smiled happily. 

"Gods don't grow old." 

"Ah right, just like me," I giggled. 

"The Siren, here's your judgement," he said softly. 

I closed me eyes to await pain to befall me. Instead, I felt myself surrounded in a warmth embrace. The god of order whispered gently next to my ear, "Sleep tight, Lorelei. Have a nice dream." 

"Farewell, god of order." 

Finally it's the end, I could finally be released from this fate with no future or hope. I would finally be free. But what a pity, just when I thought I could accept my fate and live on as a prisoner with the god of order. 

There were never what ifs in life.

Tears I had been holding in slipped down my face. 

My conscious was like a cloud of smoke, being blown away bit by bit. Gradually, I could feel my conscious slowly leaving me. 

"What a merciful way of killing someone," I chuckled. "They must be... angry... Angry that I get off so easily." 

The god of order responded by patting me on my back like putting me to sleep. 

"Please... take care of... my kind." 

"It's... a pity I could not beat...you once in chess..."

"I... wish... I could sing one last time... A farewell... gift to you..."

"Farewell... my dear enemy..." 

The last piece of my conscious finally disappeared under the gentle beam of the full moon. 

"Farewell, Lorelei." 

------------------

Author's note

Are you looking forward to this update? Lorelei!!!!!!!!! *sob* 

Epilogue coming up next!