Chapter 25

I'm crazy. I'm a stalker. Seriously, what's wrong with me? I-

"Are you gonna go in?" a voice says. 

I've been pacing outside for a good ten minutes now since calling my mom from Ella's phone and somehow convincing her to let me go to a "once in a lifetime UPenn admissions officer meeting."

I look down at the owner of a voice, a little kid, and immediately recognize him from the pictures in Zack's house. Not to mention, he's a carbon copy of his brother with longer hair and chubbier cheeks.

"Uh, yeah. I'm just waiting," I say with an awkward nod of the head.

"For your boyfriend?" he asks.

I laugh. "No, I don't have a boyfriend."

"Oh. Do you watch cartoons?" he asks.

"Um... I've watched a little bit," I answer.

"Have you watched Rugrats?" he asks. I shake my head and pretty soon, he's telling me the entire storyline of Rugrats. It's honestly pretty entertaining. Even his phone case is Rugrats.

"You should watch it," he insists after telling me the entire plotline.

"I will," I agree with a small smile.

"You can watch it with me. I don't have a girlfriend."

A surprised laugh escapes me and for the first time in a while, I genuinely smile. "You're smooth, kid."

I forget that I even came here to talk to Zack until he pulls up in his truck. "Tommy, what are you doing outside?" he scolds as he walks over. Nervously, I start to run my hands through my hair and mentally prepare myself before he finally faces me.

"You shouldn't be here," he says. My heart sinks. I don't know what I expected.

"I know," I reply. "But I had to tell you that I'm sorry. My parents shouldn't have treated you that way."

He grimaces. "No, they're right. I'm the one who got you into trouble."

"Sitting in my school's football field? That's not an excuse for what they said."

He presses his lips together. "Thanks. You should go."

The way he talks... It's like he's saying goodbye.

"I know it's my fault," I start, my voice rushed. "And I know I shouldn't have come but you won't talk to me and my parents are pissed at me and everyone at school thinks I'm a homewrecker and I- I can't-" And like that, I'm crying yet again like a pathetic mess. When Zack moves forward to embrace me, I wrap my arms completely around him and hold on for dear life because that's what I've needed all this time.

"Why do you think it's your fault?" he asks softly. "It's not your fault, any of it." He brushes my hair carefully like I might break at any second.

"Can you guys stop that?" an irritated voice pipes up. Realization hits me as I realize Tommy is still here and I back away abruptly.

"Sorry," I apologize embarrassedly as Tommy squints up at me.

"I thought you said you didn't have a boyfriend," he accuses me.

"I don't. Zack and I are friends," I reply, not daring to look over at him.

Tommy snorts. "My brother doesn't have friends," he retorts.

"What'd you say?" Zack says and lifts him up, causing Tommy to laugh. His smile is infectious.

"Can we go in now that you guys are done being gross?" Tommy says. Zack and I exchange looks and he nods. "Good," Tommy says, grabbing my hand and leaving Zack behind.

A/N: leave a vote/comment if ur team Tommy :0 jk das illegal