Chapter 27

I can't decide what to wear. All of those years of not enjoying shopping while simultaneously not keeping up with the latest fashion trend have caught up to me as I now stare down at potential outfit choices laid on my bed.

"Do you like this?" I ask as I hold up a pale pink sweater for my friends to see.

"It's cute!" Ella pipes up immediately with two thumbs up. While I appreciate the support, that's what she's said about every outfit I've shown her in the past fifteen minutes.

"Why are you so concerned with your outfit anyway?" Taty asks.

I press down on a smile as I pick up another top.

"She wants to look good for her BOYFRIEND," Ella teases with a huge grin.

"Are you talking about Zack Darrington? Mr. Pretty Boy?" Taty asks excitedly for confirmation.

"He's not my boyfriend," I correct shyly, putting on a white top that ties in the front. I'm a little worried that the night will end in me flashing the entire school but it's cute. Plus, I've never worn it before. My mom would definitely have some things to say about it.

"Oh yeah? Then what's this?" Ella says and holds up the hoodie that I was wearing when I got to her house. It's clearly way too big for me and has LSU on the front and Darrington on the back. Something that I would never own.

"It's nothing," I say, blushing, deciding on a blue top. I don't know why it took me so long to make a decision. The hoodie is going to hide it anyway.

"Really? Cuz it seems like you're his girl," Taty taunts.

"I'm not," I insist and giggle as she tosses me the hoodie. Zack gave it to me today at school and I've been basking in the scent ever since. "But he told me to wear it to the game and I think by the end, I might be." My friends start to squeal and my lips break into a smile.

"What a surprise!" Ella says. "I mean, you're both great. You're just so different."

"We are," I agree. "But, I don't know, he's different around me. He likes to act all tough when you first meet him, but the more time I spent with him, the more I understood him. And the more I understood, the more I grew to like him." My fingers fidget with the hoodie in my hands as my friends awe and I can't bring myself to look at them. I look down at my feet.

What I didn't tell my friends is that Zack and I are actually pretty similar deep down: keeping to ourselves, constantly pressuring ourselves to do more, pushing others away and therefore feeling isolated even when we're surrounded by people.

Being with Zack is like stepping outside of the house on a rainy day and just letting the raindrops fall on you. Even though it was safe and comfortable inside, you don't feel peace until you're outside, just accepting the rain.

A/N: um kinda don't rly like this chapter but if u wanna vote/comment anyway that's cool hahah