{29} Better, But Not For Me [REQUEST]

Requested by @nofeetpichere

He was different with her, with Bianca.
Newt would hold her hand in public, kiss her in front of massive crowds, he wasn't afraid to be open.

Y/N remembered when she was the one he held close, when it was her lips against his and her whispering fingers laced through his.
Except, he always seemed nervous to be public with her, almost as if he was ashamed- yet each and every time Y/N brought it up, ashamed that he felt embarrassed about dating her, he denied it.
Now that he was no longer there to squash those feelings of shame and guilt, they were all that flowed through her.

Bianca was gorgeous, Y/N thought herself to be rather plain.
Bianca was funny, Y/N could just about get a pitiful laugh from Thomas most times.
Bianca was smart, Y/N couldn't even help solve The Maze when they were still in it.

When she was around her, Y/N felt like the whispering wind to Bianca's howling storm.

Sitting on the beach at the Safe Haven's second annual bonfire, Y/N stared at the happy couple with misty eyes. Forcing her jealousy back down her throat, Y/N reminded herself- it wasn't Bianca's fault that she was better with Newt, better for Newt.
Nor was it her fault that Newt was a better boyfriend to her than she was to Y/N.

In fact, if Y/N was being perfectly honest, Bianca had been nothing but kind and lovely to her. She was a good person.
Y/N wondered if she herself was.

Newt obviously didn't think so. Or at least not enough to tell her the truth about why he dumped her when he did.
It was before the Last City, before they rescued Minho. He suddenly just started ignoring her and blocking her out, before all of a sudden dumping her on the spot, ending a 4 year relationship.

Months later, Y/N would find out- from Minho- that Newt only dumped her then because he thought he was dying. Minho said Newt wanted to save Y/N the pain of his death, Minho said he did it out of love.

It didn't feel like love to Y/N. She thought it felt particularly close to abandonment and easy excuses to be with another woman.
But she didn't say that to Minho.
Nor did she ask him why Newt didn't get back with her after receiving the cure. No, she already knew the answer to that; by that point he'd already moved on, already found his new love, Bianca.

"Y/N?" Minho's soft voice called out to her.

Setting himself down gently on the sand beside her, Minho draped his arms over bent knees and caught her gaze.
"What are you doing?" He sighed.

Confused by his question, she allowed herself to be pulled out of her memories.
"What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean. Why do you keep beating yourself up over him? He's moved on Y/N. You should too."

"I know," her voice cracked as she admitted it, her throat closing up, "I know. But I can't."

Turning to face her fully, Minho cupped his hands around her face. "Why?" he begged to know.

Eyes pooling with tears, Y/N stared at him, "Because who could ever love me?"

Frozen at this, Minho couldn't seem to form a reply, his hands still gently caressing her face.

"Who, Minho? Who would ever look at me, when there's girls like Bianca, and Misha and Prya? How could I ever compare to-"

Minho cut her off, pulling her face close to his, drowning her self doubts in a kiss.
Pulling away slowly, Y/N stared open mouthed at him, as if seeing him properly for the first time.

Smiling, he whispered "Me. I could love you."

A/N:
Hey guys!
Thanks @nofeetpichere for the Request; I hope you enjoyed it!
I added the Minho bit to the end because of your messages. They seemed so raw, sad and heartfelt. And I wanted you to know that someone out there will love you, exactly the way you are, for you exactly the way you are. Never forget that.
Have an amazing week, and if anyone has any Requests feel free to pm me or leave a comment!
Lots of love,
Lyra Xx ❤️