4. Ejected

Every victory needs someone to lose. If I die, it's Purple.

Black's words lingered in my head as I entered Medbay. I couldn't believe this. Was Black really willing to sacrifice her life to figure out the identity of the impostor? What if we still failed? Would she seriously take such a risk?

I shook my head. What was I thinking? Purple probably wasn't even the impostor. Out of all ten of us, the chances of her being the killer were low.

But not zero.

"Hey, Red," greeted White after I walked in. He'd been on the Medbay scanner for a long time now. Seemed like the impostor got that thing good.

"Hi, White," I said as I grabbed a test tube glass rack from the counter. Each one was filled with a white liquid whose chemical name I didn't bother remembering. "How you feeling?"

"Like I could be doing more. My crew is dying out there while I have to stay and fix the scanner. That isn't the best thing for a commander, of all people, to be experiencing," he replied, getting up from where he'd been crouched. "How about you?"

"Stressed. Anxious. Et cetera. At least you don't have to risk your life out there."

I filled up the tubes with a chemical that could determine whether or not one of the liquids had some sort of anomaly. The chemical would turn it red while the normal ones would become purple.

"Exactly," White said. "All of you are risking death except me. That's gotta make anyone feel guilty."

"But you're, like, the most important person on this ship."

"If you're saying that because of my position, then you could not be more incorrect," White stated fiercely. "Me being the leader does not make my life any more valuable than any of yours. In fact, it should be my duty to ensure all of you are safe."

I couldn't argue against that.

He checked the monitor on the wall. "Hiding from the action is a coward's move. Trust me—I want to be out there, but since I have the most knowledge of this ship, I have the most knowledge of its equipment. I'm considering getting our tech guy Orange to come in here and help, though."

I looked thoughtfully at the test tubes, whose contents were already changing colour. "Do you suspect Orange?"

"Orange being tech-savvy isn't enough proof. We have people who are far more suspicious." He paused. "Do you suspect me?"

The question took me by surprise. "Well, you aren't really acting differently from the usual, so I don't think it's you."

"Thanks. And I don't suspect you either."

I trusted old Commander White. In all the time the crew spent together, he displayed himself as a man of responsibility, a man of leadership, and a man with a clear vision. I knew a lot of people back on Earth who looked up to him. Therefore, I was glad to have someone like the Commander trust me too.

On the other hand, Orange didn't have as much of a personality, so he could likely be possessed and nobody would find any difference. Maybe Cyan, Yellow, and Purple had more reasons to be suspected, but I couldn't help my instincts.