Chapter 16: A Fairly Tail

"Rawr!" a young voice lightheartedly cried out.

"Hey!" I blurted, reaching back to grab whoever was dangling from my neck. Lo and behold, it was only a bunny. I held it out in front of me like a misbehaved toddler.

She couldn't stop giggling.  "Ha! I scared you, didn't I?"

"Hazel?" I recognized. "What are you doing here?"

"I was just studying here in this tree, I heard you coming, and I saw you look all frantic and whatnot so I thought I'd mess with you!" 

"That, you did," I said as I set her down.

"I kinda missed you! How was your morning run with Jude the dude?" 

"It went well," I shrugged. "Nothing too out of the ordinary."

"No smashed wooden crates?" she asked while winking with a grin.

I rolled my eyes and sighed.   "Not yet,"

"Ohh! I still can't get over this morning!" she laughed hysterically. "That was tooo funny!"

I scratched the top of my helmet. "Definitely won't happen again." 

"Oh, but if it does, I'll be there in the front row seat. Who knows, maybe I'll actually film it this time!" 

"Please no."

"Ha! I'm kidding!" she swatted my leg. "Besides, we don't want animals to study your, quote on quote, 'extraterrestrial' behavior now, do we? Don't worry! Your secret is safe with me."

My heart briefly dropped upon hearing her say that until I remembered Judy mentioning to me earlier today that Hazel already knew I wasn't from this world. Apparently, she figured it out but I wouldn't bring it up with her. Instead, I decided to play it casually. "Speaking of studying, aren't you supposed to be reviewing for finals with Daisy?"

"I was! But then she grew tired of studying and she fell asleep. Ha! So she left me all alone." 

"She's in the tree?" I pointed towards the canopy.

"No, silly! She's inside. We're actually standing on top of her house right now so I decided to just chill in the tree here because it's one of the biggest in BunnyBurrow."

I examined the tree and noticed that it was quite a fair size.

"I see." I steadily observed.  "But don't you guys have a tree as well?"

"We do! But it's too slanted on a hill so my pencils would keep rolling off," she explained while motioning with her paws. "It might be a good place for a physics student who's studying gravity but I'm more into biology so I need a stable environment, you know."

"I get it," I said with a slow, tilted nod

"Ha! Take that ridiculous thing off." she pointed at my helmet with her paw. "How do I know you're not makin' faces at me under there?"