Chapter 30: Classified

What was I thinking?

Would deploying a nano-tech weapon be such a good idea?

But the coyote and I shook paws/hands according to the agreement. There was no guarantee that she wouldn't panic.  Regardless, I would proceed.

As I stood up in place, towering over the anxious coyote interrogator before me, I extended my arm off to the side at a sharp downward angle.

By neurological command, I rearranged the particles along my forearm into a sharp nanoblade.  The coyote instinctively leaped back in fright, her adrenaline causing her claws to unsheathe, and not knowing what had just happened.  To her, the weapon seemingly appeared out of thin air.

Like a T-1000, I cycled through a wide range of weapons that came to mind. Rebecca was speechless and dropped her pen.  Eventually, I organized the particles into one of the weapons most feared by the ZIA.

It was the phaser rifle.  An extraterrestrial weapon that was technologically superior to any weapon of this world.   In my world, the same model was responsible for the death of many species in my world.   Tremendous guilt filled my heart as I wielded it.

As any good soldier would, I kept the rifle pointed downward. Though I was armed to the teeth, I had no desire to attack.  I did my best to maintain a nonaggressive stance.

But the young, female coyote had a paw over her mouth, not knowing what had just transpired before her. For an intern, I thought she handled it fairly well.

"Rebecca! Stay put!" the radio voice frantically sounded. "Backup is coming!"

The metal barrier slid open and three grey wolf SWAT guards entered the room with lasers pointed at me and teeth bared. Their weapons also appeared much sleeker in design and darker.

"Drop the weapon! NOW!" the middle one barked.

But I remained standing and kept the rifle pointed away. My interrogator had backed herself up into a corner while the wolves were ready to fire their high-pressured tranquilizers. Though it was tempting to disarm them, I didn't wish to repeat the lobby incident.

The wolves readily held their fingers on the triggers.  "Drop it!" 

"At ease," I gestured, trying to calm them down.

But these guards were heavily driven by their wolven instincts and were here to protect. Their stares were fierce, potent, and focused on the unpredictable threat before them, which was me. Instead of staring back at them, I looked towards the ground to avoid further escalation.

The middle wolf then took a bold step forward. "I said drop it!"

"Right now!" the other barked.

"Relax," I said calmly, holding my gauntlet out once more.

But they tightened their grips. "Final warning!"

As the wolves were nearly set on taking their shots, I turned to look at the coyote who appeared more dumbfounded than scared. The guards wouldn't take heed to my word but perhaps she still would.

"Rebecca...you made a promise. Keep it." I reminded.

She slowly looked at the wolves, then at me, and then back at the wolves. She took a deep breath but didn't say or do anything else. The wolves then looked at each other and nodded.

"Alright, drop him!" the wolf ordered.

But the female coyote immediately jumped in front of them with her paws out. "Wait! Stop!"