Chapter 14

The demigods walked down to the edge of the surf. They took a taxi and used the Lotus Casino credit card to reach Santa Monica. During the ride, Percy told them everything about his dreams. There were a lot of pieces that felt missing, but one thing was clear: they were hurtling toward the Underworld at ninety-five miles an hour, betting that Hades had the master bolt. If they got there and found out they were wrong, they wouldn't have the time to correct themselves. The solstice deadline would pass and war would begin. The taxi dropped them off at the beach in Santa Monica.

"What now?" Annabeth asked.

The Pacific was turning gold in the setting sun. Percy thought about how long it had been since he'd stood on the beach at Montauk, on the opposite side of the country, looking out at a different sea.

He stepped into the surf.

"Percy?" Annabeth said. "What are you doing?"

Percy kept walking, water rising up to his waist, then his chest.

She called after him, "You know how polluted that water is? There're all kinds of toxic-"

That's when his head went under.

Annabeth tried to rush in but Y/N stopped her, holding her wrist. "He's the son of Poseidon remember?"

"But that-" she tried to reason but got interrupted again.

"I know, but you gotta trust him in this. He feels the best when he's near water," she looked forward at the setting sun and smiled, "Just trust him."

Annabeth stayed quiet for sometime and said, "Hey, I forgot to thank you earlier. I'm sorry we didn't listen to you earlier, but I guess you were right. Hades might not be..."

"-the one behind this?" Y/N said looked at her, "Yeah I know. I felt that too."

Annabeth sighed, "Sorry, I just...if it isn't Hades, then we're in a lot more trouble."

Y/N chuckled, "Yeah no shit...Also, I didn't tell anyone but I knew about his mom."

"Wait what?!"

"I wasn't sure and it was just a guess. I mean, why would she just burst into some golden light if she's dead? Death isn't like that when it comes to mortals."

"Oh..yeah," Annabeth said.

"You think he'll be pissed after I tell him this?"

"I mean, yes. Haven't you seen what he's like?" Annabeth looked around the sea, "Where is he? Why is he taking so long?"

Y/N chuckled, "Grover was right."

"Huh?"

"About you and Percy," she looked at Annabeth who was blushing, "Be in denial if you want but make up your mind at the end of the quest please."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Yeah sure, that blush is for me then?" Y/N said, "You...like him don't you?" Annabeth stayed quiet, and Y/N continued, "Look, we don't exactly have luck to live that long. Treasure your time. Do what...your heart wants."

"I wish I could...." Annabeth muttered, "I'm not sure."

"Well, I'm here for you when you need me okay?"

Annabeth smiled looking at her, "I know you are."

Percy kicked upward toward the shore after some time.

When he reached the beach, his clothes dried instantly. He filled in about what had happened, and showed them the pearls from Nereid, a spirit of the sea.