Heart vs Brain

Amber's pov:

Silence.

Damien looked at the rest of his friend group with a hint of distress on his face.

It made my heart hurt.

Layla's sickness was and still is a sensitive topic to Damien. That's why he tried to avoid telling people about it.

He didn't want it to be one of the things that people thought about when they talk to him.

He assumed that they would approach him with pity if they knew about his sister, so he tried his best to limit the amount of people who knew about his sister.

Even his own friends.

If I'm being completely honest, I didn't quite understand. Your friends are there to be your support system, to lift you back up when you're down, and to make you more confident in yourself.

I have to admit that I was lucky to have had Liam all my life. I know for a fact that I wouldn't be the person that I am today without him.

But Damien, he has a group of friends who care about and love him, it's hard to understand why he kept such a big secret from them.

Well other than Julie and Ashton, and I think Zander too, the others barely know anything about his sister.

And as much as I thought that he should have told them about his sister, it wasn't my place to tell them.

....And it surely wasn't Annabelle's either.

As much as I didn't want to question it, it still bothers me greatly.

HOW does she know about Layla?

WHY does she know about Layla?

Damien said that I was the only person who he felt completely comfortable with introducing his sister to.

Why?

I can't tell you.

We had known each other for less than a day at the time, he barely knew me, yet he trusted me and let me in on a big part of his life.

Looking back, I guess it made me feel... special?

But now, I feel uneasy, hurt, and lied to.

He probably did the same thing that he did to me with Annabelle.

We spent the whole day together yesterday, so it had to have been over the weekend. Maybe that's what they were talking about yesterday at lunch.

Which means he didn't even tell me. I thought he was an open book when he was with me, I was starting to think that maybe this friendship was turning into something more...

I can't help but feel wrong.

"Well...?" Luke asks again, folding his arms over his chest while sending a questionable look towards Damien.

"I-I..." Damien stutters, I could feel his gaze on me, but I couldn't muster up the courage to look back at him.

It made me feel like an awful friend, but what could I even say? If I said that I knew, or Julie, that would make the situation even worse.

"Why are you guys getting so worked up about it?" Annabelle speaks out, I could hear the substantial amount of sass coming from her voice, and I would be lying if I said that didn't want to slap her across the face.

Harsh... I know.

That's more of a Liam thought, I guess he's finally wearing off on me.

"Why don't you shut the f*ck up for a second so you can find out?" Luke says to her. I could hear the sound of a smack, my guess being that Ella smacked him on the arm, but I doubt that she disagreed with him.