CHAPTER 6

Sarah Lawson stood on an island, on the beach with coconut trees swaying in the breeze beneath darkening clouds. The air grew colder and the wind lifted her hair in its embrace. It fluttered around her neck and iced her ears, brought goose bumps to her skin. Her gaze fell to her fingers and hands, following a trail up her left arm to the bandaid that covered the spot where the doctor drew blood. The gale stiffened like she was in a wind tunnel, blowing her hair back in a straight line. She squinted at the sand scouring her face and pricking her arms and legs. The violent turbulence roared in her ears as her hand strained to reach the bandage in the fold of her elbow. Finally, her fingers found the end of the fabric, and she ripped it off with such strength that her eyes clamped shut from the wincing pain.

When her eyes opened, the pain vanished and the storm ceased, her new view, the smooth white ceiling of her stateroom, onboard the yacht taking them to Cocos Island.

A place nicknamed Shark Island.

An hour ago, she slipped away from everyone because of a headache. The pain had been piercing behind her eyes, but it eased up with ibuprofen and a dark room. Her stomach wasn't bothering her as Savannah mentioned. It had nothing to do with sea sickness. Sarah could endure a hurricane if the ship stayed afloat.

The bandaid was still in the crook of her elbow as she lay on the soft bed with natural rays of the sun beaming through a tiny porthole. She checked her phone. It was ten minutes till four in the afternoon and there was no cell service in the vast Pacific Ocean. Her only connection with the outside world was the yacht's WiFi.

She remembered the dream from moments before, causing her eyes to wander to the bandaid and linger. She touched the course fabric of the bandage, lifted one end, and peeled it off. Tossed it in a waste basket next to the bed. Even in sleep she couldn't escape the truth of what was going on inside her body, whether it be a blessing or a curse.

Sarah closed her eyes and tried to push away the images threatening to condense her nerves into a ball of fear. A doctor in green scrubs walked toward her, white mask over his nose and mouth. He squeezed a syringe and blood squirted out of the tip.

Sarah shook her head, sinking into the pillow. All she wanted was peace, but it wasn't within her grasp.

She got up. She couldn't take these thoughts anymore. Maybe sunlight and fresh air would help?

Outside the door to her stateroom, she ventured down a hallway and climbed the stairwell leading up to the parlor, a living area with a pair of cream colored sofas and a mocha chair. She paused and took in the luxury that the yacht had to offer. Several lamps were affixed to end tables. Over in a corner, a small desk was inset in the wall. Sarah imagined Savannah Lockhart typing away for Adventure Magazine.

A bar occupied the other side of the room. She could picture Dylan pouring drinks for everyone, something she wanted no part of because of childhood memories. She had put that part of her life behind her, and she had no desire to revive it in any way.

Sarah started toward the stern, and through a set of tinted glass doors—she saw Jake and Tony chatting with Dylan Cross. Their faces glowed, their teeth showing with occasional laughter. Rachel sat in a chair at a deck table with Savannah. A thin smile creased her lips. Everyone else seemed to be relaxing and enjoying the voyage while Sarah took a nap to get rid of a headache, and to get away from reality.

Maybe it was the stress of the doctor visit and the pending blood test? Or maybe she needed to catch her breath, figuratively speaking?

She opened the sliding door and stepped into the sunlight. For the most part, the two-story, middle portion of the yacht shielded the wind, but a breeze whipped around the sides and flurried a few strands of her hair.

On the deck, Jake turned at her appearance. "You're up. Good. Did you get rid of your headache?"

"It's eased a bit," she replied, squinting at the bright sun.

He moved toward her with a wide grin. His hand caressed her upper arm. "Dylan's going to take me and Tony on a tour of the bridge to meet the captain. Rachel and Savannah could use some company, unless you wanted to come with us, which you're welcome to if you want."

So, he's on a first name basis with them already. Jake was always fast to make new friends. That was a good trait to have, but Sarah found it more difficult to cozy up to new people. "No thanks, I'll stay here," she replied. "I need some fresh air."

"Great." With a glance and a grin to Tony and Dylan, Jake and the guys were gone.

"Take a seat," Savannah said. "Rachel and I were getting acquainted. You're welcome to join us."

Sarah nestled into a chair and tucked a blowing strand of hair behind her ear. She couldn't help but think that sooner or later the topic of Ocean Blue and the serum would come up, whether today or at some other point on this trip. She hoped to avoid that topic at all costs. After all, it had happened only two weeks ago.