CHAPTER 31

Jake didn't have time to consider the implications of Dr. Graham sifting through his backpack. Whether the doctor had been snooping for food, or using the excuse to cover-up a secret agenda, had no bearing on their current predicament. He didn't believe in the nonsense of a monstrous spirit called El Tunchi, but he had no doubts about a vicious creature that escaped the cage on the downed cargo plane. Whatever it was, it was here and it was hungry. Now, the only thing that mattered was speed.

Dr. Graham raced across the edge of the river, jumped in, and disappeared in the torrent. He didn't have a problem coming to terms with clear and present danger. And he didn't wait around to see if the others would follow him.

On the opposite bank, the creature roared liked the fiercest lion Jake had ever heard. The fearsome roar sounded like anger and hunger burning with a lust for blood. Now, he understood why the doctor hadn't hesitated.

In the dark, Jake could barely make out the elongated form of a monstrous beast. It's eyes reflected a yellowish glare from the star light overhead and the hint of a crescent moon, peeking over the mountain behind them. Graham was right about the demon yellow eyes.

Tony and Rachel scrambled to their feet and managed to grab one of their packs before they plunged into river. Jake watched as the fast moving water swept them away. Anything was better than getting eaten alive, even jumping into rapids. At the sight of their escape, the creature lurked along the bank, snorting at the air and ducking its head, wanting to pursue them, but realizing there were others still within its reach.

Dylan and Savannah went next. They took longer because Dylan was digging around in his backpack for something and Savannah was cramming the maps into waterproof ziplock bags. With her things together and finally moving, Savannah tripped but struggled to her feet as the creature let loose another savage roar. The sound was so hellish, it made the writer and photographer freeze stockstill for a few terrifying seconds.

The hairs on Jake's arms stood on end.

Dylan pushed Savannah into the river, and without a second thought, he jumped in himself. As he dropped toward the water, he aimed his pistol and fired. The discharge blasted through the air, and then both of them disappeared in the whitewash.

Jake grabbed Sarah by the arm and started leading her downstream.

In the rush, his toe hit a rock and he stumbled, but Sarah caught him. At that moment, the faintest glimpse of sunlight began to glow in the east. Earlier, when he awoke from his dream, he had no idea what time it was, and had full intention of going back to sleep after his incident with Dr. Graham. Somehow, the predator had taken most of the night to track them down or happen upon them. But it made no difference whether it was chance or skill because now, it had found them.

Across the river, the black shadow slinked back into the surrounding jungle. For a fraction of a second, Jake thought it must have given up on catching them. But then he realized its intent.

"Hurry." He latched onto Sarah's arm, spun her around, and shoved her into the water. She yelped but soon was carried away.

Jake doubted the creature could clear the width of the river. It would be like hurtling over three lanes of highway traffic.

Impossible.

But he had no intention of sticking around to find out.

On the other side, hefty paws pounded the jungle floor, garnering speed and ramping up intensity. Jake saw its yellowish eyes glaring through gaps in the vegetation as it raced toward the river's edge. He still couldn't believe what he was seeing. The creature was going to attempt the jump.

Jake used the opportunity to move further downstream. At least if it made the hurdle, he wouldn't be there to greet it when it landed.

As he ran, he glanced back to see the shadowy outline of the predator as it leapt from the far bank and soared across the river. It's body was unbelievably large in length and girth. Jake had never seen anything so big. His mind couldn't process what he was seeing. Involuntarily, he slowed down to get a good look at it, but dawn had yet to break over the horizon and he couldn't see it well enough.

Jake backpedaled on the bank of the river and watched the creature land with a gracefulness that didn't match its great size and weight.

The eyes turned toward him, and then it launched itself in a race to catch him.

Jake jumped into the water. He submerged with a splash and got caught up in the swift current. Washed away, he twisted his body to see the creature running and leaping, dodging trees and crashing through the undergrowth in pursuit of its prey.

It wasn't giving up.

The river rumbled in Jake's ears as it carried him away in its powerful grasp. The whitewater washed over him, dunking him under, and then forced him up and out where he caught his breath. Soon the bends, and the ups and downs, straightened out, but still, he was locked in the current's flow.

Finally, as the first rays of dawn brightened the sky, the river's pace eased and dumped Jake into a wading pool of water that deepened to about five feet before it slipped over a high spot and rushed away toward the ocean. In the pool he found Dylan and Savannah, Tony and Rachel, Dr. Graham, and finally Sarah. They looked exhausted and roughed up, but alive and without serious injury.

Jake started to speak, but Graham held a finger to his lips. He dipped down in the water face up until only his eyes, nose and mouth were above the surface. The others did the same.

Jake turned as he sank, his gaze on the far bank.

The creature became visible in the dim morning light, and Jake's growing suspicions were confirmed. Running for his life, he had no time to consider it, but now he could see it prowling on the water's edge, grumbling and hissing like only a feline could. Using a rock on the shoreline to judge its size, Jake estimated the cat's size to be twelve feet or longer from head to tail with a hulking midsection that was in proper proportion to the rest of its hefty body.

It resembled a massive black tiger—if there was such a thing—with paws as big as a man's head.

With that thought, Jake slipped beneath the water, only his face held above.

The feline roared angrily. Then it backed away from the water like it had before, built up speed, and charged toward the river. In a flash, the cat hurtled the pool and landed on the other side where it vanished into the jungle as the sun appeared on the horizon.

Jake and the others waited until the bright light of day filled the sky. When they thought it was safe, they came out of the water and fell on the bank.

Dylan sat, his blue irises shocked and dim.

He started to say something, but paused in mid-thought, gaze cast downward on a flat rock behind Jake. Then he grinned and his eyes brightened. "What do you know?" he declared. "That cat bleeds, and if it bleeds...we can kill it."