I Miss It

A month of being able to stay home.

A dream to some, a bit of a nightmare for the Harmon sisters. Sure they had free time, but after two weeks, they were going a little stir crazy, or at least Emilie was. They had gotten used to pretty constant travel.

She didn't have many people to talk to, that wasn't normally an issue. She missed it though, being able to talk with and draw people. She really missed that feeling.

To be completely honest, she missed Benny. She liked having a little part of her day where she could talk to someone... it's not like he was special, but he-

Anyways, with all of that combined, she finally decided to give him a call.

She stood there for a second, the phone ringing. It rang for a while, he probably just wasn't home. So she went to put the phone down,

"Hello?"

"Hi," you could almost hear her smile through her voice.

"Hello," he cleared his throat leaving an opening for her, and when she didn't talk he added, "and this is...?"

"Come on. It's only been a week. You haven't forgotten me have you?"

"I doubt it, but remind me,"

"It's Emilie Harmon,"

"You called,"

"You expected me not to?"

"Well, you didn't write back,"

"You wrote me?"

"And you didn't write back,"

"I never got it," there was a bit of surprise obvious in her voice. "Did you miss me?"

"Well did you miss me?"

"You wrote me,"

"and you called me,"

"Are we just gonna go back and forth?" Emilie asked.

"I don't know, it's kind of fun don't you think?" he lightly chuckled in the background.

Emilie felt positively giddy. The simple thing of just hearing his voice, made her feel almost like she might float away, the only thing keeping her grounded being the cord of the phone.

"Em!," There was a yell from upstairs. "I'm going to the store! You need anything?!" Beth came from downstairs.

"No, I'm good. Since you went shopping, I'll make dinner."

"Ok cool, and if you're calling Samual, hang up. You're too good for him," Beth said as she walked out the door.

"Bye Beth!"

Emilie put the phone back to her ear.

"I missed-"

"Samual huh?"

"Ex-boyfriend,"

"Why'd you break up?"

"You always were direct."

"So....?"

"We were doing really good together, but I wouldn't sleep with him. I don't know why but I just couldn't bring myself to,"

"It shouldn't be something you have to do," he interjected.

"Well, it's apparently an itch he had to scratch and Tabitha Stanley took care of it for him. He knocked her up, and now he's marrying her for appearances."

"That's awful,"

"You know I did miss you," Emilie said suddenly trying to change the subject.

"How long ago did that happen?"

With a sigh, Emilie said, "Less than a year," another attempt to change the subject, "How's New York?"

"Good, cooler than Vegas," silence settled in.

"Have any tournaments coming up?"

"Yeah, one in a few weeks,"

Emilie glanced at the clock. Alma would be back from her errand soon.

"Are you good at math?" she asked randomly.

"Decent."

"If I added a tournament in New Jersey and Beth and me, then added you and New York, closed parentheses, subtracted me and you and divided by two... would it be a true statement?" That was her attempt at being smooth.

"Um.." it took him a second, in that moment Emilie got a little flustered that he would be, "Was that a really long way of saying you'll be in New Jersey and you want to meet halfway or something?"

"More or less," he got there eventually and that simple fact that he could understand her awkward flirting, made her heart happy.

"Well the statement could be true," he chuckled. "You're quite the enigma,"

The deadbolt lock started to open.

"I have to go,"

"Call me again around this time next week, and I'll be here waiting,"

"Ok," if anyone were in the house they would have seen her very large smile.

"and one more thing,'

"Yeah?"

"I missed you too Emmy," he put his phone back. So did she. Then she jumped around her house a little before plopping down on the couch to greet her mother.

"Hey, sweetie,"

"Hi Mom!" running up to hug her. "I was thinking we'd have a big dinner today,"

"Well ok then," Alma laughed a little.

Emilie sort of skipped away, singing along to the song in her head.

There was nothing tethering her to the Earth now so she was up in the clouds, and it looked like she wasn't coming back down for a while.