Chapter 4: Changes

Winter always means an abundance of rain. It falls heavily on the roof now, sending echoing sounds of pattering through the mostly vacant library. The single window is propped open, letting in a chill breeze. It's very noisy, and that's good. It's harder to think with all the sounds.

Aspen paces the library, occasionally rubbing sleep from his eyes. He's so close, he thinks, to finishing what he's doing- that is to say, reorganizing what remains of his book collection. Again. Magnolia says he's avoiding his feelings, but he sees this more has handling them, in his own way. He takes another book from his stack and slots it between two others on a shelf.

Biology of Bug-Types- an introduction. He pauses, considering if it might go in the children's section. It's fully illustrated, with simple language, but it's also about Pokemon. He doesn't have a proper section for books that are both for kids and about Pokemon. Maybe he should make one, but that would mean more re-organizing, and-

Well, it wouldn't be that different from the ten or so re-organizations he's done over the past three years.

"Dad?"

Aspen pauses. Busted. His son stands in the doorway to the library, his tall form silhouetted by the faint light of the torch he's carrying. Aspen can make out furrowed brows and a deep frown on his features.

"Raihan, sorry, did I wake you?"

Raihan has gotten so tall. Ridiculously tall. Taller than even Basil had been. The thought sends a pang through Aspen's chest, which he tries his very best to shove deep, deep down.

This is Raihan, not Basil. A different person. So much like him, but different. It's hard not to see Basil when he looks at him, hard not to think about how proud he'd be. Hard not to think about how much easier things would be if he were still here. If he was here, maybe Leon wouldn't have hidden himself away. Maybe Raihan wouldn't be torn between resenting Leon (which, if you ask him, is the only thing he feels for the other man), and caring for him desperately.

"No, I don't think so," Raihan yawns in turn, "the Herdier next door were kicking up a right racket- didn't you hear them?"

Herdier? Aspen frowns. He hadn't heard anything of the sort, and the window is open, so that's odd. Come to think of it, this isn't the first time Raihan's complained about those pups making a racket--

"Dad." Raihan is holding a book in front of his face. A History book about Piracy. "This was in with the Pokemon Biology books."

Aspen offers a weak smile, "Ah, must have gotten distracted."

art by luna_de_miel_ on twitter

Raihan rolls his eyes and gently taps the top of Aspen's head with the book. "Go to sleep ."