chapter two

The boy introduced himself as Chuck. He led him around the place but didn't really explain much. He claimed that Thomas would get a tour the next day. He still explained the basics. Thomas looked at the sky, which was slowly losing its vibrant blue and changing into a mix of colors. 

Thomas was itching to ask more questions, but whenever he asked one, like, "How long have you been here", or, "Did all of you get here the same way, in that box?", Chuck replied with, "You'll know soon." Thomas was getting frustrated, but he didn't hate this boy. He seemed so... brotherly. As they made their way there, Thomas felt the ground shaking under his feet. Chills tickled his spine. He heard a deep screeching noise, like two concrete blocks were scraping together. 

As he turned in a circle trying to find the source of the sound, he realized he was kinda right. On one of the four sides of the square place, the two doors were slowly sliding shut. He stared in horror, glued to his spot. He was stuck in here. No way out. At last, the doors met in the middle. A silence swept over the Glade for a moment, before all conversations resumed as if they didn't just get trapped in here. Thomas had a lump in his throat but swallowed it down as he turned to Chuck, who was watching the conversations in front of them, unbothered. "What was that?" his voice cracking embarrassingly. "Oh, every night the doors close," he said nonchalantly. Thomas swallowed. Something rumbled once again, but this time it was his stomach. Thomas tried to grin. "Let's eat," Chuck stated. "Good that."

Chuck led Thomas towards an area with wooden picnic tables that you would find while camping. 

Again, Thomas racked his brain to think if he ever went camping, but came up blank. Maybe Chuck would understand, but Thomas didn't think so. He still asked.

"Hey Chuck," Thomas started, "do you ever have that feeling that you remember something, but you don't remember from where?" Thomas looked at Chuck expectantly as the pair were nearing the tables with boys sitting at them, chattering. While Thomas was here, he couldn't see any girls, and when he asked Chuck earlier, he simply said there weren't any. That was a little weird, but Thomas knew Chuck wouldn't expand so he gave up.

 Chuck started responding, "Well-" "Hey greenie!" Thomas turned to see a boy with square shoulders and a tall build jogging towards them. His jet-black hair was matted to his forehead as he reached them, slowing down. "You must be Thomas." Thomas found himself nodding, then muttered, "yeah" stupidly. He was really great at making the best first impressions, wasn't he?

The taller boy chuckled and stuck out his hand. "Name's Minho. I'm the keeper of the runners." Thomas shook his hand. "What's a runner?" 

"You got a lot to learn, greenie. Come over to our table, and I'll explain." Minho looked at Chuck for approval. He nodded and gave an encouraging smile to Thomas, then he was off. Thomas turned back to Minho, and let himself walk over to the line of boys waiting for food with Minho. If anything, Thomas could eat.