Plotting to kill..

The next day, I was a busy gal.
After successfully having Piper command Percy, Annabeth, and Nico to not to talk to "Asclepious" whatsoever, it helped lay out the beginning foundation for my master plan.

I even switched every one of my classes to late at night or excruciatingly early in the AM so there was no accidentally running into Luke before I was ready to reveal that I survived the cliff.

The next week, I became a hermit. 
Since I now had the option of living in either Cupids dorms or in the Hades one considering Melinoe is my mom, I chose to go with the latter.
Even though I still haven't revealed to Nico that I-know-he-knows that Luke's alive, living in the Hades dorm with him kept me in successful seclusion. No one really knows about Melinoe being my mother, and the people who do know, don't really like spending time by the Hades dorm to look for me.
Mostly because of how dark and dreary the place seems.
 Darkness and diamonds seem to be what decorates the majority of this place.
My new bed even has a diamond encrusted head-board! The other reason I think no ones come around, is the Hades dorm is where the hell hounds have been spending all their free time not patrolling the grounds.
Makes sense why they stay close to the dorm...The two people Hades wants protected are Nico and I.

Part of me wonders if I should tell everyone that Luke is alive...
It would bring a lot of stress off of me, and it would even have people assisting in ideas in what to do with him now that he's back.
But at the same time, I don't want anyone in my way to stop me before I kill him.

Maybe it's wrong......But it's my prophecy, and I'm the one who got pushed off the cliff by his command.
I feel I deserve the right to be the one to kill him for good.

But plotting to kill Luke Castellan and actually being able to do it are very different things.
I have enough rage filtering out any other possible emotion, that I have no doubt I'll be able to do it when the time is right.

My problem is I'm physically weak.
I've seen what Luke can do when he puts in effort sparring someone....When I had sparred him, I didn't have a snowballs chance in the underworld, and that's when he was barely trying.

If I'm to stand any chance whatsoever, I need help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Carys, back it up a second....So you plan on taking on Luke Castellan in a fight to the death..."
Melinoe questions in surprise.

She's taken to meeting up with me at ungodly hours of the night.

"Did I stutter?" I ask impatiently.

Rude, but she of all people knows everything so she should understand why I'm so angry lately.
No one else understands, because I haven't told anyone of about everything that's happened. Annabeth and Percy found it bizarre I switched all my classes, but they haven't really been on me too much to explain why.
Nico has been nothing but persistent, but I refuse to talk to him about it.
A huge part of me is still angry with him for not telling me about Luke.
Maybe if he had, I could've avoided him altogether before I stupidly started dating the guy.

Melinoe looks confused.
"Why do you need my help? If you'd like, I could simply just plague him with ghosts of people he..."

"NO!" I growl, thankful that we're currently wearing the darkness cloaks so that no one can see or hear us in the courtyard. "I'm doing it!"

Having anybody else harm Luke Castellan physically or emotionally is out of the question.
He's mine.

Melinoe frowns.
"Carys...Please take in some consideration from someone who knows what she's talking about...........Killing someone, and being able to follow through on it, are very different things." She says quietly, as she spares me a sad look.

I say nothing in response.
She has absolutely no idea how it feels to be completely betrayed by the one person you felt nothing but safe around.

It's quiet for a moment.
"Not only that..." Melinoe continues. "You cared about him....When..."

I feel my teeth grit together. "If you don't want to help me then don't!" I snap angrily. I don't want to think about Luke. I don't want to think about everything that I grew to like and respect about him...I don't want to go back to crying.
All I want to focus on, is my rage.
Thinking about what he said to Piper, continues to fuel my anger.

It's quiet again, the silence only being broken by a heavy sigh from Melinoe.
It's as if finally realizing she's not changing my mind about this.
"Then what is it you need my help with?"

I lift my hand up to point at my palm. "I want you to teach me how to use my shield."

Melione's jaw drops ever so slightly.

I continue.
" I know I can put it up to stop someone approaching me...But it's usually when I'm upset that it happens. I want to be able to do it on command."

As I look at her, she looks skeptical. Her green eyes narrow slightly, as if considering my request.
Is she really going to deny her one and only kid?

After a few moments of silence, she nods her head.
"Okay."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later, I still couldn't project the stupid shield randomly. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be...No matter what we tried, I just couldn't make it appear.

"I'm still not getting it." I grunt, as Melinoe tosses a stick at me for probably the hundreth time.
It bounces off my knee effortlessly, despite my pitiful attempt to produce my shield.

She sighs. "It's strange...You have enough rage inside of you, that being able to project it should be simple."
Her lips purse as she seems to be considering something. "The second circumstance you used your shield it was to get away from Luke Castellan....But what happened for you to have used it the first time?"

I think back.
It's been so long, it takes a second to think about. The first time I had discovered I had a shield had been when the lizard-dogs attacked.
"Er..It first happened when one of those hybrid things attacked campus. One had been about to bite Nico and a..."

"Of course!" Melinoe whispers, snapping her fingers. "Your shield operates off of fear...The first time it was fear for your friend, the second...For your own safety."
She smiles slightly, obviously feeling she's figured it out.

"Come." She commands gently, motioning for me to follow her.
A couple minutes later, we're back inside of the Hades dorm. I flick on a lamp, and watch as Melinoe descends upstairs.
Following her, I watch as she doesn't go to my room, but exits left and begins to head for Nico's room.

"What are you doing?"
There's no need to worry about waking Nico, only people wearing darkness cloaks can hear us.

She ignores me, and opens Nico's door.

He's fast asleep at his desk.
There's a lamp on, where it appears he had been studying before falling asleep. Slight snoring is issuing from his sleeping frame.

As I glance over his shoulder to read his essay he had fallen asleep finishing, I'm starting to think the only reason he's been getting good grades is because the teachers fear him because he's the son of Hades.
Because Gods knows it wasn't his brilliant ability to produce an essay that's getting the job done...

I turn back to look at Melinoe, to find her watching the sleeping Nico intently. I'm about to ask what she's doing, before I notice Nico start to shudder slightly.

His fist clenches beside his head, and he wiggles in place.
It looks as though he's having a nightmare.
As I put my hand on his shoulder, it completely goes through him.
I forgot about the stupid cloak...

"Mom..." Nico exclaims so softly, it's almost as though he hadn't said a word.
 He's having a nightmare about his dead other.
"I'm sorry..." He whispers, sounding scared, before he shudders some more.
It's only then do I realize this is all Melinoe's doing.

"Stop!" I yelp, wondering what the styx has possessed her to bully Nico with a dream about his mother.

Her lip slightly turns to a smile as she turns to look at me.
"Make me." She replies simply, before turning her full attention back to Nico.

She wants me to stop her using my shield...
But as I put my hand up, nothing seems to happen.

"N-No mom...I didn't kill Bianca..." Nico gasps, shuddering some more.

It's only then that I get ticked off enough to throw all my energy into protecting Nico.
"I SAID STOP!" I snarl at Melinoe.
This time, my shield comes up. The black mist envelopes Nico entirely, clearly forming a way to shield him from Melinoe.

As soon as the shield went up, Nico stopped shuddering. His body automatically relaxes, and within a minute later, he was softly snoring again.

It's quiet for a moment, as I watch the shield form a barrier around him.

"What works your shield is fear...It's either fear for your own safety, or fear for your friends." Melinoe exclaims softly, watching my shield with great interest.

"Did you know, a powerful enough shield you could use to force a soul into doing what you wish?" She asks softly.

My head snaps up to stare at her.
"Huh?"

She nods. "I control spirits, Carys. I guarantee some of that power has been passed to you. When enough power is put into throwing the shield, it can force something..."
She must notice my confusion.
"Example...If you were in a fight, you could completely box your opponent into one specific area."

My eyes widen. "You think I could do that!?"

She shrugs as a response.
"Practice makes perfect."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~