Chapter 24

Chapter 24

We stopped in front of the fountain in the middle of the garden.

"So?" I began.

"So..." he replied, oblivious.

"So, what are we doing in the middle of the garden?"

He smiled then looked down the ground.

I felt my heart skip a beat.

"Hey!" I snapped, he looked up and laughed.

"I don't know."

"What?"

He shrugged and scratched the back of his head.

"Are you serious?" I slapped his arm lightly.

He laughed, "Come on, let's get out of here." He grabbed my hand, "I'll show you something."

My eyes darted to our interlaced hands and my mouth suddenly felt too watery that I had to gulp. My stomach felt light and troubled at the same time. And my chest? A trembling mess on the inside.

What is happening? Are these butterflies? Why am I acting like a teenager? God, this is some straight out of a high-school-storybook shit.

My eyes stayed glued to the way my hand looks freakishly small next to his and for some indescribable reason, I can't bring myself to retract it.

"What's wrong?" he stopped walking.

"Huh?" I immediately averted my gaze from our hands and looked at his eyes.

"Are you okay?"

Wrong move. Those blues were full of curiosity and concern, and yet somehow, I can see calmness.

"Yeah," the corners of my lips curved up in a sad attempt to hide the baffling questions in my head – all as if I'm not screaming on the inside. I tried my best to focus on the trees ahead because my eyes will give everything away. Growing up, Noelle always said that my eyes betray me every time; that I had to work on it if I don't want to be caught in a lie.

"Alright." He squeezed my hand and we continued to walk.

I looked back at our adjoined hands then up to his face, painted with a satisfied smile.

Oh. So, he's very much aware of the hand-holding situation? Was he purposefully doing this? Another part of the game?

"Hey." He said, catching my attention. "It's okay." He smiled then raised our hands to his lips and kissed the back of my hand.

"You- you can't do things like that."

"Why?"

"Just..." I exhaled shortly and I can't seem to find the words. I can't believe it, I'm speechless yet again.

"It's not like we haven't kissed already." He said as a matter of fact.

"Yeah, but it's not the same."

"Why? Because we made out and this is innocent?"

"No..."

He smirked, "Is this a make out invitation?" he leaned it.

"No!" I pushed him a little. He laughed.

"C'mon, I'm just joking. Let's go to the park."

"What park?"

"Fort Tryon Park?

I squinted.

He scoffed and cocked his head to the side in disbelief, "Are you serious? Let's go."