Chapter 8

Ocean

The evening wind blew through the streets like some illegal street racer. I decided to walk home tonight, and I really regretted that decision.

By the time I got home, my body was exhausted and my legs were as heavy as lead.

But still, the fresh evening air and the wind that ruffled my hair was what I needed. To cool me down, to clear my mind. And in the end, to feel alive. Because as long as you feel, even if instead of joy it was pain, you live.

But, to be honest, I needed to get him out of my mind. Totally unsuccessful.

When I finally entered my apartment, locked the door, and put on the reamer, I breathed a sigh of relief. The whole time I was walking home, I had the feeling that someone was following me. Maybe it was all in my head, and maybe Ian sent his pals to follow me. Of course.

Debt is debt. And its payment is final.

I need to find a way out of this situation soon. If I find the right moment I'll ask Jaxon for a loan. . . although who am I lying to. Neither will anyone give me that amount of money, nor am I ready to bare my soul to someone and admit that my head has been blackmailed. That I am a walking corpse.

The next day while I was working, Jane walked into my office, acting all important and cluttering me with a pile of papers that I needed to sort and put away. She loved having a feeling that she was above me and that I was subordinate to her.

Every time she walked into my office, the smell of her nauseating perfume crept into the walls and left a bitter trail that I had to watch her every day. Why this jealousy and malice on her part?

If she liked Jaxon, it is okay with me, she can go ahead! I had no interest in him anyway.

"This pile must be ready by the end of business hours."

She came out of my office, wiggling her ass, as if plugged in electrical socket.

This pile must be ready by the end of business hours.

I imitated her like a small child, squirming along the way. Some people you really can't like, and that's it.

My childish behavior was interrupted by the sound of the phone ringing.

''Yes?''

"Ocean, please come to my office."

"Right away, sir."

I took my planner and headed for the boss's office.

After I knocked and after hearing the standard "Come in," I stepped into the office.

"Ocean, sit down."

I frowned, because somehow I didn't like the tone of this conversation. There is something wrong with Jaxon. Is he displeased with my work and wants to fire me? Please God, just not that.

I sat down slowly and carefully, lowering the planner to my knees. I forced a slight smile, trying to hide my concern.

'' Ocean, unfortunately. . . ''

My heart stopped. I closed my eyes, is this my end?

''. . . unfortunately my father ended up in the hospital. He got sick and is suspected of having a minor heart attack. "

He exhaled in despair, while I on the other hand, how bad it sounded, exhaled with relief. Does that make me bad?

'' I'm sorry, Mr. Jaxon. . . ''

He pursed his lips in a thin line, visibly worried.

"That's why I have to leave immediately, but I have one task that have to be completed by the end of working hours. A task  that is vital for this company. "

He looked at me and tilted his body occupying part of the table.

'' I know you probably won't be the most comfortable, but you have to go to Ward Inc. and to personally deliver this folder to Kaden. There are some confidential documents inside, and let me be truthful, I don't know why but I have full trust in you. "

"Of course, sir. . . Thank you for your trust. "

I'm glad I left a good impression on him, maybe he'll be kind when I ask him for help with the loan. . . who knows. And going to the snake's nest. . . Well, that will be interesting. Fate seems to constantly unite us. Or business opportunities, better said.

"The company's driver, Russell, will take you there. Please go now. "

I nodded and took the leather folder from his hands. I headed for the door and just as I grabbed the doorknob, I turned to him.

"Sir, I hope your father will feel better."

He offered me a polite smile, desperately concealing the concern behind his auburn eyes.

I took my jacket, purse and fixed my hair and lipstick. Some electrified sensation overwhelmed me and my mouth began to dry. I took a few deep breaths, but it didn't calm this inflamed feeling in me.

I can do this.

I went out, and Russell was already waiting for me in a black Mercedes. An older but well-mannered man, probably in his early forties. He kindly opened the door for me and I sailed into the leathery interior that creaked under my movements. The engine started and we sailed among the sea of ​​cars.

Looking out the window, the flashing lights of the city dragged me into their magic and I didn't notice when the car had stopped and the smiling Russell turned towards me.

'' Miss Ocean, we're here. Call me when you're done, I'll pick you up. "

I kindly thanked him and got out of the car.

I stood in front of a huge and tall building that was all in glass. Its shiny glass panels reflected colorful street lights. I looked up and there above me l, hung enormous sign. Ward Inc.

Off I go.