Chapter 18

Ocean

I walked down a dark street, which sidewalks led me to my salvation. Only a few people passed by me, deep in their thoughts.

Darkness took its throne on the city pedestal and the empty streets only intensified the feeling of horror that crept under my skin.

I crossed the street and looked left to right. I was alone. Like Ian said. Exactly at midnight in the city park.

Following the instructions I received from him, I came to the third bench on the left, which was surrounded by low trees, with dense treetops.

Street lighting did not reach this place, not even the moon's rays, which were trapped by dark clouds that crossed the sky.

I tightened my grip even more on the handles of the black leather bag in which my salvation was hidden.

00.05

I was still alone, but now already visibly upset and scared. The longer I waited, the more lush and pessimistic my imagination became. . .

What if they take the money and regardless of the deal still decide to kill me? Oh my God. I didn't think in that direction, and the more I thought about it, the more logical it seemed to me. Why would the mobsters let a random girl just like that. They will get what they asked for and I will no longer be of use to them.

''Oh God. . . ''

I began to fidget and turn around, as the air in my lungs became less and less. How stupid I was.

My consciousness darkened, panic flowed through my bloodstream like a bottle of infusion. I took a deep breath and began to walk quickly toward the lighted street.

As soon as I took the first few steps, a strong force pulled me back into the darkness. To the place where my black thoughts swarmed.

Two men held my hands as their loud breathing cut through my ears.

I heard footsteps and shiny, black shoes flashed in front of me. I looked up and Ian's face dawned before my eyes like an apparition.

His dark eyes and that deep scar that stretched across his forehead, cutting his eyebrow, to the cheekbones on the left side of his forehead. I don't even want to think about how he got it. . .

I had never looked at him so close before, and now in this pitch darkness I saw every hole that furrowed his withered face. He was a man whose lips would tell the darkest stories, it seems to me.

"Where do you think you're going?"

He came even closer to me, his smile, which did not bode anything well, flashed before my eyes.

"You didn't mean to run away, did you?"

He ran the rough skin of his index finger over my cheek. From the feeling of disgust I felt, I turned my head, squeezing my lips.

"By now you should have realized that there is no way out. . . ''

He dug his fingers hard into my cheeks and violently turned my head towards him so I was looking him straight in the eyes.

Licking his lips, he shifted his gaze from my eyes to my lips and back.

"Your youth and beauty are so attractive. They call for sin."

He came closer to me. I tried to dodge, but a couple of the strong hands of his security men tightened their grip on me even more, forcing me to stay buried in place.

"Calm."

With the tip of his nose, he moved my hair and touched my ear moving towards my cheek. I closed my eyes tightly, as if I wanted to wake up from this bad dream, as if I wanted all this to disappear. I felt his stale breath form around my face and it was getting warmer every moment.

I opened my eyes, squinting them and his scar was the first thing I saw in front of me. His dry lips settled on mine and I began to wriggle out even more, madly turning my head from left to right.I somehow managed to tilt my head back and then I spat at him.

With a roar of laughter, echoing through the empty park, he took a step back, taking a handkerchief from his pocket and wiping his face. He grabbed my face in his fist again and pushed me hard.

"Little bitch, do something like that one more time and you'll curse the day you met me."

He nodded and his men let go of me, causing me to lose my balance and fall onto the damp cold concrete. I wiped my lips and spat, trying to get the taste of his damn lips off mine.

He knelt beside me, the cracking of his knees was heard . He looked at me deadly, so I backed away a few inches away from him.

He looked down at the leather bag and snatched it from my hands.

"We are even now. You got your money. Leave me alone for once. "

I said in a low voice, expecting the unexpected every second. Let me go, just leave me alone for once!

"I don't know how you managed to get the money. That's what he's wondering. . . ''

I shifted my gaze to his hand coming down to his belt, where I know the gun is.

He placed his palm on the hilt of the pistol.

I closed my eyes and swallowed hard.

He smirked, snorting as a smile appeared on his face. He removed his hand from the pistol and his coat fell over it, obscuring it from my view.

"That's why you're still alive. If I were to ask myself, I would kill you right now without thinking. "

He looked at me, rolling his eyes.

"He wants you alive for now. This is not the end. I'll see you around. "

He caressed my face, and stood up. He turned and his pals followed him.

"But you got the money. Leave me alone! Leave me alone!!!''

I yelled at them, getting up from the cold concrete. My voice frightened the dormant birds, so a small flock left the warm canopy, soaring into the firmament.

Their black coats disappeared from my sight as I fought for air.

I grabbed my neck and face with both hands, whispering softly to myself. . .

''Leave me alone. . . ''