Chapter 6: Aileen Baines

•••

•••

She was a teenager, around sixteen years old. She was tall and slim. Her skin a beautiful brown and her long curly hair jet black. But her eyes, her eyes were scarlet red, just like the blood that was dripping from her lips.

The scene, the two other bloody and dead teenager, reminded Irene of what happened months ago in Seattle with the newborn army. She was undisciplined and conspicuous. There was no doubt. She was a newborn. A months old vampire. New to this world, unaware of what to do, of how to behave.

"I'm thirsty," the newborn girl panted. "I want blood. I need blood."

Suddenly, she abruptly turned around. Just like Irene, she had heard footsteps and a heartbeat. It must be just a person walking by. Irene was hoping that the person would not see the horrible seen because of the darkness. But Irene didn't have time to think further more that the young vampire dashed towards the other side of the alley, in direction of where the footsteps where coming. Without thinking twice, Irene dashed too full speed towards the newborn. She grabbed her by the shoulder and pinned her against the wall, pressure her forearm against her throat. The young vampire tried to break free. It was hard to Irene to stay still. Vampires were much more powerful during their few first months.

"Calm down!" Irene shouted. "Human will discover us! You'll get ourselves slaughtered!"

"I don't care! I need blood!" The newborn shouted. She then pushed hard Irene. Her back hit the wall as the newborn ran away. Irene quickly stood up and trapped the girl psionic energy. The blonde vampire pulled her towards her and pinned her to the ground with her gift. The girl tried to break free again, but psionic energy was much more efficient. Irene looked up and saw a woman passing by the alley. She must be the person they heard approaching. It was one of the most anxious minute of Irene existence. She wait, eyes fixed on the end of the alley, praying the person wouldn't see anything. And fortunately, she just kept walking, not even glancing at them. Irene focused back on the newborn. She was still trying to free herself.

"Control yourself. Don't let your thirst control you." Irene firmly told.

"I-I can't." The newborn said, visibly struggling. But not to break free.

"What's your name?" Irene asked.

"Aileen. Aileen Baines."

"Aileen, you can control your thirst." Irene said in a reassuring and soothing voice. "Listen to me. Focus on my voice, only mine." She instructed. Aileen nodded and closed her eyes.

"You can do it. This is only in your head. Control yourself. Don't become the monster people depict in books."

Aileen's jaw was clenched, her hands fisted and her muscles tensed. She groaning, trying to ignore the burning of her throat. It was like her neck was crushing, like a burning iron was pressed on her throat. But as she fought the thirst, the need of blood subdued. And slowly, Aileen seemed to calm down. Her face was less and less tensed and her breathing more panting. Irene waited a few more seconds before releasing her from her psionic prison.