𝐫𝐨𝐚𝐝 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞

that entire day, kotoe did not speak to kuboyasu-kun

it wasn't like she wanted to avoid him, but life seemed to just be separating the two.

just before homeroom, the boys were swarming her, questioning her choice of bringing her school bag when usually she would take her tennis bag.

on the first class interval, chiyo decided to drag her to the bathroom and whine about her non-existent love life—it wasn't like kotoe didn't care, but she couldn't help but feel like her conversation with kuboyasu would be much more important than the thing she hears everyday. kotoe, however, ended up not saying a word.

at lunch break, kokomi grabbed kotoe by her upper arm to the cafeteria before any of the class boys got the chance to speak to either of them. it was slightly cruel, but kotoe recognized the indifference in kokomi's eyes and decided that she wasn't in the mood. she understood that, and so she stayed silent.

the end of the day was approaching, she and kuboyasu's only interaction for the day had just been sharing glances at each other. kotoe wanted to speak to him about the project—she prided herself in researching about the topic a little bit the night before and wanted to show off, but fate seemed like it had different ideas.

the glaring heat of the sun had just turnt soft, and although it would be quite some time before twilight would approach them, the sky was already filled with warm light.

the last bell of the day rang, and kotoe held the breath she had been holding. her shoulder slumped—mind trying to decide between the satisfaction of finally getting to speak to kuboyasu and the fact that they were going home.

to the saiki household.

to her house.

kotoe placed a hand on her chest, breathing in and out heavily; she has kusuo so everything wouldn't be as awkward as it should be. maybe.

her mind raced to the thought of her middle school boyfriend and the first time she brought him home. it was a mess—kuniharu was home for some reason and not at work.

kotoe didn't want that to happen again.

especially since she didn't know kuboyasu well; she had to make a good impression.

good thing, kusuo had assured her so many time throughout the day that their father was at his office, and that he won't be home until at least the designated time.

it calmed her down, just a little bit.

"kotoe-san."

a shiver ran down kotoe's spine when she recognized the voice to be calling out to her was kuboyasu's.

"a—ah!" she stammered. she looked back at kusuo, who was looking at her indifferently, and then up, at kuboyasu who was holding an awkward, crooked smile on his face. "ku—kuboyasu-kun!"

it was like the whole world turned quiet. everyone, that was busy chatting and packing their things up, turned to look at them. some glared at kuboyasu—a fair thing to do, one must say—and some only chuckled at the, apparently, adorable way kotoe had answered him.

"uh," he rubbed his neck, glancing at kusuo. "i—are we supposed to be working together today?" he gulped, holding the bag strap on his shoulder. "i didn't get the day wrong. . . right?"

kotoe stood up, "no!"

perhaps she said that with a tad bit too much enthusiasm.

"no?" he asked, tilting his head, this time with a much more genuine smile.

she shook her head, "no!"

he placed a fist on his mouth, hiding a chuckle before clearing his throat. "okay, then. . ?"

"uh," kotoe explicitly remembered that her conversation with him had never been this awkward. but if she was being completely honest, it seemed like she was the only one making a big deal out of this. kuboyasu seemed relaxed, and kusuo too.

okay. you can do this, kotoe. just breathe in.

"we should, uhm, hurry up. . ." kotoe trailed off, thumb pointing at the front exit of the class. "i would like to finish before our father gets home."

hearing that, kusuo scoffed, a teasing expression appearing on his face. the little expression of feeling on his usual facade interested kuboyasu.

"father. . ?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

kotoe gulped, but nodded her head.

"why?" he asked so blatantly that kotoe was taken aback at the casual voice. "if—if you don't mind me asking, of course?"

kotoe's mind flashed back to the incident that morning—the image zombie kuniharu haunting each of the steps she took that day.

"he's a bit scary, you see."