Chapter 15

"You know, when I asked you over for dinner, I didn't expect you to help cook

"You know, when I asked you over for dinner, I didn't expect you to help cook."

Adding the last of the spices to the ground beef sizzling on the stove, I watched as Jo glanced over her shoulder, her eyes lighting up as they met mine. "To be honest, I wanted to make sure there was something edible on the table," she mused.

A chuckle left my lips as I lowered the temperature of the burner before stepping around the island. Coming up behind her, I snaked my arms around her waist and dropped my lips to graze the exposed skin on her neck. "Surprised I can cook?"

I felt a shiver course through her body. "A little, considering how often you eat at Apollo's."

"Guilty," I said. "It's just not worth it when I'm cooking for one."

"True," Jo said, leaning back against me. Having picked up a bunch of fresh vegetables at the grocery store after leaving the game, she was currently focused on cutting them up. "And I'm sure your schedule doesn't make things any easier."

"Exactly," I replied. "What you're witnessing tonight is special."

"Then I'm honored."

Dropping a kiss to the back of her head, I squeezed her hips before stepping back.

When everything was finished, the two of us laid it all out on the dining table before assembling our tacos. Meat, salsa, vegetables, cheese—they were stuffed in each tortilla, filling them to the brim.

"How are you still eating?" Jo asked as I finished off my fourth and final taco. She'd had plenty herself, but had given up half way through her second helping.

"Hockey burns a shit ton of calories," I said simply, patting my stomach with a bemused smile, "and I've got to refuel." She shook her head with suppressed laughter as she stood, though as she went to grab her plate, I reached out to stop her. "I've got it, don't worry."

"I really don't mind," she insisted.

Sliding the plate away from her, I shook my head. "You already helped cook, and I'm just going to rinse these off before sticking them in the dishwasher," I said, gesturing to pile of dishes on the table. Standing, I leaned in to brush a kiss against the corner of her mouth. "But while I'm doing that, you're welcome to crack open the bottle of wine in the fridge and pour yourself a drink."

"If you insist."

In no time at all, Jo had settled herself into the sofa, a blanket on her lap as she sipped her wine, and once the dishwasher was loaded, I cracked open a beer and joined her.

With only a few inches between us, I rested my arm along the back cushions and let my fingers twist softly through her hair. "Thanks for coming today."

"I'm glad I did." The corners of her lips lifted as she shifted, bringing her legs up and underneath her while turning to face me. "It was a good game and you played great; though I could've done without the fighting."