Chapter 24

"There

"There. Right there. Don't move."

Holding my hands up in front of me, I slowly backed away from my mom and out of frame, watching with a critical eye as Maria snapped a series of pictures. And when the camera was handed over to me, I saw they had come out exactly how I'd imagined.

With blackout curtains hanging on the storefront windows—ones we'd checked and double-checked passersby couldn't see through—we'd turned the space into a photoshoot for the boutique's website. I needed flat lays of most of my stock, mannequin shots, as well as a showcase of real women wearing my lingerie. Which was where my family and friends came in. Aimee, Mackenzie, my mom, and Isla had volunteered as models, I'd gotten Maria on board as the photographer, and while I mostly fiddled in the background, making sure everything was coming out how I'd envisioned, I'd taken a few steps in front of the camera myself.

Because if I didn't share my own curves, how did I expect others to trust what I was setting out to create had any value?

"Not that I don't love what you're doing with your designs, but are you sure putting our mom in a silk robe is the best way to get customers?" Mackenzie asked, sidling up next to me.

A snorted laugh fell from my lips as I saw the slight grimace on my sister's face. "She may be our mom, but to everyone else she's a confident, older woman who's unashamed of showing her body."

"If it's any consolation," Maria cut in, "I think she looks amazing."

Overhearing us, my mom grinned, tucking her hair behind her ear before Maria continued with her photoshoot.

"See?" I said, nudging Mackenzie's hip lightly. "Besides, I need to show my designs really are for everyone. It's not only about making an extended array of sizes, but also proving to the customers these pieces can look good on anybody, no matter their age, shape, or size."

"I get it, I do," Mackenzie said, and when she glanced over at our mom again, her lips pulled into a smile. "It's just a little weird."

"Hey, you're the one who volunteered to help," I mused, "so whatever you see today is on you, not me."

Shaking her head with amusement, her gaze drifted to the counter next to us where my phone lay. It was on silent, and had been for most of the day, but that didn't stop the calls and messages from coming.

"Seb's calling, again."

Having returned from winning yet another away game yesterday, I'd stayed at his place overnight and had told him when I'd left this morning I'd be busy with this photoshoot. He clearly hadn't gotten the memo though as I declined his second call of the afternoon.

Mackenzie quirked a brow. "Trouble in paradise?"

"Not really. Just a case of conflicting schedules lately." Maria turned around, gesturing to ask if I thought we had enough shots for this outfit, and I gave her a thumbs up. "But right now I need to focus on getting these photos shot. I'll call him back when we're done."