33. Consider

33. Consider

Ten are incapacitated, two are staying behind-- which leaves fourteen heading up the hotel with Karasuma. Isogai and Kataoka took roll, noting down who were infected and who weren't.

Then Nao took over, and began noting down the various symptoms.

Even if this was going to just be a scary health bug in the end, they had to be monitored for other reasons-- like the fact that a fever this high might leave lasting damage if left unchecked, and Okajima's blood loss is not looking great.

"It strikes me as odd that it's so potent, but it's not affecting you at all, Kuma-sensei," Takebayashi says.

Nao hummed at the observation. "And what does that mean, scientifically?"

"That..." Takebayashi took a moment, "it's not contagious. At least not airborne, so it's a drug that was in our drinks, or our food."

"And it was administered at a time and place where Kuma-sensei wouldn't be," Okuda interrupted them. "So it happened during the daytime, when you and Karasuma-sensei were doing all the legal work."

Because an immunocompromised person like Nao would've gotten a full force of this, whatever this is, if he'd been struck. And the hotel staff aren't affected, so it was a method that was surefire to only hit the kids. 

Splendid observation, it's not very complicated at all. 

But Nao wasn't trying to solve the mystery here-- he was just trying to make them think as a distraction, so they could exercise their minds in a logical direction around the issue and calm themselves down.

"And it's not any of the drinks inside the hotel rooms either," Nao added.

"Daytime, a time when we all ate or drank together," Fuwa appeared beside them, and Nao involuntarily jumped. When did she get here?

Korosensei was in the center of the other table with Karasuma, and both were looking over. Some of the students were scurrying about, getting changed and ready to go.

"But we were all split into groups then," Okuda says.

Nao looked at the list. "Every team was hit, but the teams that are least affected are..." he hummed, "Chiba's group and Nagisa's group."

They took a moment.

"The sniper team!" Okuda realized.

"Nagisa, Kayano, and Karma were part of the group that went to scout out the underwater first, right?" Nao said, "because Isogai and Kataoka had to take roll and settle room arrangements before the rest of us."

"So it's in the first few hours of our arrival?" Karasuma finally stood up, contributing to the conversation with his interest.

Then it finally clicked. "The welcome drinks!" Fuwa declared.