Thats life

It was a Monday morning and hank Voight was making breakfast for himself and his 14 year old daughter, Ellie. It was a regular morning like every other. Ellie was in her room getting changed when she heard a knock at the door, "come in" she shouted out assuming it was her dad, hank pushed the door open and smiled at her. She was tying up her doc Martin boots so she was looking at the floor, "hey dad" she said in a sombre tone. "Hey kiddo, breakfast is ready" he said in his raspy voice. She looked up and smiled, she loved his breakfasts. "I'll be out in a second" she said to him while packing up her school bag. Hank left and Ellie sighed, she felt like she was living in a simulation and nothing was real, she was down in the blues lately since school was giving her a lot of trouble. Her dad didn't know though, if she told him then he would end up doing something bad about it and she didn't want that to happen.
She grabbed her coat and bag before looking in the mirror one last time.

             She always dressed the part, it was a way for her to distress and detach from reality, fashion was her true love

She always dressed the part, it was a way for her to distress and detach from reality, fashion was her true love. She walked out into the kitchen and sat down, "here you go smelly" hank said while pushing a plate of bacon and eggs in front of her. She laughed at her nickname, smelly Ellie. "Thanks" she said sounding a little sad. Hank picked up on her mood and sat next to her, "what's going on?" He said knowing she wasn't okay. "Nothing, I'm fine dad" she said sounding a bit happier even if she was lying. The truth was she was being bullied at school, no one wanted to be her friend since she was protected by cops due to her dads unit, and she was a pretty girl so people were bitter of her. Hank just shot her an unconvinced smile, he didn't like to push her since she was all he had, "if you say so kiddo". She had finished eating her breakfast and they both left, hank always dropped her off at school because he liked to know she was safe.
"See you later, remember I'll be working a little later today" he said before she jumped out of the car. "Yeah sure dad, bye" she replied while waving him off. She turned around to walk into school, there were a few kids from her grade standing around, she smiled at them trying to be nice like always but they just shot her dirty looks. She ignored them and made her way to her locker, as she was about to open it a group of boys barged past her and knocked her bag out of her hands, she didn't even look in their direction instead she just picked up her bag and opened her locker. Once she had gotten the books out that she needed for the day she shut her locker as the bell rang and turned around, before she could even begin walking the same group of boys rang past her again and purposely knocked her books to the ground, "do you mind?" She snapped at them while bending down to pick the books up. The boys all laughed and the tallest one spoke out, "no not really" she didn't even get the chance to speak back since they had all ran off.
By now the hallway was empty since she should be in lesson, she stood up and shook herself together. As she walked into the class the teacher didn't even acknowledge her, neither did her classmates, she felt invisible. She wanted to scream at the top of her lungs until she had no air left, but she couldn't. She was meant to be doing her school work but since she was pretty sure her teacher didn't even know she was there, she doodled on the desk. She wrote back to the odd students messages before getting out her compass, carefully and quietly she carved 'that's life' into the top of the desk. The lesson dragged in but after a painful hour of listening to Shakespeare the bell rang to dismiss the students. She got up and left amongst the crowd, since she already had her books she went to the bathroom for the passing period instead. "Would you look who it is..." one of the popular pick me girls joked to her friends while staring at Ellie. "Leave me alone" Ellie mumbled before walking into a bathroom stall. She could hear mumbling and scuffling of feet before it all went silent, the passing period was over and she had to leave to go to art and design.
She made it to the class on time and sat down at her desk in the back, she loved this lesson. It was the only time she could doodle and draw clothes designs without being told off. "You have a new assignment due in two weeks time" the teacher shouted to the class, everyone else groaned but Ellie smiled. She was the teachers favourite and the other kids hated that. As she was about to leave the class when it ended the teacher pulled her aside, "how would you feel about an extension task on that assignment?" her teacher said while handing her a note and some fabric. Ellie smiled and replied back quickly, "I'll do anything". The teacher smiled and dismissed her.
The rest of the day flew by, she stayed out of peoples way and avoided her bullies. It was 3pm and she was heading out of school when the group of boys from before knocked her to the floor, "oh look, the little whore is on the floor" a chubby kid from the group laughed. Everyone around her, even kids from different grades laughed at her, she got up quickly and walked away with tears in her eyes. She ran home and slammed the door behind her, she had no idea where the nickname 'whore' came from since she was far from one. She slid down the door and let her tears flow, she couldn't help but wonder, why her?