Chapter 1

You had heard a lot of interesting things about the Bishop's new Chaplin. You had caught your sisters chatting about him which you listened into. Your father had told you not to give in to rumours but you still giggled along with them.  You hopped to meet this Slope and figure him out for yourself. You got that privilege when he preached on Sunday.

Slope's sermon was bombing and commanding. You zoned out of what he was saying, listening to only to the way he talked than the contents. Your sister, Eleanor noticed you had zoned out and elbowed you and gave you a look that said pay attention. You looked back at the man saying. No performing the sermon. Power seemed to radiate off him as he commanded the entire cathedral. He was talking about scientists and you looked up at him. Your eyes met yours and you looked down, going red. You felt his eyes on you and when you looked up he still looked. His eyes, when they met yours again snapped away to look at the ceiling. With one hand he grabbed the bible and your heart fluttered again. He was so powerful, so hypnotic. He put his hand to the heavens and you grinned.

After the service, you hung around with your sisters to wait for your father. They both seemed concerned and when your father came to where you stood he was also. They did not believe in the theology that Slope had taught as it criticised all the music your father had written for the cathedral. You sighed. Why did people have to rude to each other? You thought. 

"I believe however that our dear (y/n) was not listening to the sermon," Mary said, poking you.

"I was!" you exclaimed. Your sisters raised their eyebrows and you sighed. "Fine" you said. "I may have zoned out"

"(y/n) you are 19, you should be able to conduct yourself as a proper young woman" Mary said. 

"I know sister" you mumbled, looking down. 

"What where you distracted by?" your father asked.

"Nothing father" you mumbled.

"Nothing indeed!" Eleanor said. "You were taken by Mr Slope's voice"

"I was not!" you exclaimed loudly

"Shh (y/n)" Elenor said. 

You nodded and frowned at your sisters. You were annoyed at your sisters for putting on the spot. Your father shook his head and started to walk out. You followed him and looked back, from across Slope watched you go. He shot you a slight smile and you smiled back. You looked back and walked out of the church and back to your house. 

You made some tea for the family and laid it down onto the table and you noticed the letter.

"The Proudies have went back to London for the season and to bring back Mrs. Proudie's horses. They left Mr. Slope in control of the diocese. He seems to enjoy it." You watched as your father sipped his tea. Mary looked in your direction. You, however, wasn't going to be the one to tell him of Slope's visit.  Her father sensed the tension and frowned putting down his cup of tea. "Is something wrong?" your father asked suddenly

"I am sure (y/n) can tell you" Elenor said, slyly smiled across Mary, who's eyes widen. 

"It was addressed to you" you said. "So, therefore, you should say"

"A letter? I don't understand" Their father asked.

"Mr. Slope is going to pay us a visit, father, this afternoon. He wants to get to know the locals better." Elenor said.

"Slope. Oh.. I see. Here? And you agreed?" your father questioned

"Well yes, I couldn't just say no you may not enter my home." Elenor chuckled.

"He must be given the benefit of the doubt." Mary smiled, trying to keep the mood light. "For the moment anyway"

"When he is expected?" your father asked

"Quite soon" Elenor said as your father sood. "I hoped you might stay" 

"Yours is a very proper attitude, mine is not." your father said "If he can't hear my music, then I can't hear his words." He left the room and you all sighed. 

"Father is so stubborn sometimes" you murmured.

"You are quite right" Elenor said, sitting again. 

"I do not see this as such a problem" you mumbled 

"Of course you do not" Mary said, laughing sightly.

"What is that supposed to mean?" you asked.

"I meant nothing at all" Mary said, still laughing. "I was just commenting on what seemed to be your peculiar like of our new bishop's Chaplin"

"I have no such like" you murmured, pouting.

Mary and Elenor gave each other knowing looks and took a sip of their now cold tea. "We shall together get the tea" Mary declared. "Will you be able to entertain Mr. Slope when he arrives?"

"oh, yes of course" you said and put your cup on the tray.

"Oh good, come along then Elenor" Mary said and together they walked out of the room.