Chapter 4

The day of the supper reception came and you were worrying. You had no idea what to wear. You stared at your dresses which stared back at you. None of them seemed to jump out at you as the one. You sighed and went out of your room and into Eleanor's.

"Sister do you have a nice dress I could wear for the supper reception?" you asked

"You have lovely dresses" she said, not looking up from her writing.

"but none of them look good on me" you moaned.

Elenor sighed and got up. She walked into your room and picked out one. "This one" she said.

"But that one looks awful on me" you murmured. "Please could I borrow one of yours, just for tonight?"

"I think this one looks perfect" she said.

"Father bought it for me and it looks like a sack on me, it's far too big in the hips and small in the bust, oh please Eleanor"

Elenor rolled her eyes and walked back into her room. "Whichever you want to wear" she said dismissively.

"Thank you sister!" you exclaimed and looked through until you found a lovely one. "This one?" you asked.

"If you wish"  she said. "But our dear Mr Slope would still dote on you if you were in a sack"

"Untrue" you said and walked out, putting the dress on the bed. 

You looked out of the window and sighed. You hopped Slope didn't regret you as his guest. It was getting to evening, and the sun was setting slowly over the top of the cathedral.  You yawned and soon fell asleep only to be woken my your father looking at you worried.

"(y/n) it is time to go" he mumbled. 

"Shit!" you mumbled.

"Hey" your father said walking to the door. "don't swear"

"Sorry father" you mumbled and quickly got your dress on. It looked great but it didn't look right, so you pinned it together in one side and looked again. You grinned. You quickly made your hair look nice and went downstairs to meet your father and your sister. Gosh, your sister was beautiful. You felt quite self-conscious as you walked out with your father and sister.

The bishop's palace was busy as you walked towards the entrance and went in. Lesser clergy, chaplains and trained readers walked around. You followed your father as he went over to the archbishop. You felt a hand on your shoulder and looked up to see Slope, his fingers tapped on your shoulder as he smiled.  "I am so glad you could come" he said. 

"I am too" you said.

"What a wonderful dress you are wearing" he said, looking at you up and down.

"You are ever to kind" you said, going red. Slope smiled and his fingers lingered on your shoulder. Someone called him away and he slowly slid his hand off you. "I will be back soon Ms (y/n)" he said, walking away.

Elenor smirked at you and went back to the conversation that she was having. You twiddled your thumbs and went closer to the conversation, listening to whatever they were chatting about. You zoned out and stood aimlessly until you felt a hand again on your shoulder. "A drink" Slope said, handing you some wine. 

"Thank you" you said smiling. You took a sip and smiled. You turned and he looked you up and down and smiled. 

"How are you this evening?" he asked.

"I'm good thanks" you said smiling.

"I am glad" he murmured, looking around and then looking back to you, his eyes lingered on your body and he smirked. "You must tell me more about your love of history" he said.