13.

Chapter Thirteen:

Giving the philosopher's stone to Voldemort seems... oddly easy. In fact, Harry could literally just slip a note to Quirrelmort about it and be on his way. He doesn't even have to go on some obscure adventure to get the stone. Well, he probably should, considering he's under Dumbledore's watch. But then again, Harry doesn't really give a fuck about the old goat.

That's exactly why one cloudy and cold morning, Harry writes his impromptu letter out during DADA. Quirrell is at the front of the class, stumbling across his words and pointing out something on the chalkboard behind him. Ron is swinging his legs underneath the desk beside Harry, humming quietly as he takes notes. Verde and Nimmy are both lounging across the desk, arguing about who's scales are smoother and prettier. Nimmy seems to be winning.

Smiling, Harry dips his quill into his ink pot and begins to write. 'Dear, Voldemort.' Pausing, Harry tilts his head to the side in thought and then crosses out the two words. 'Dear, Tom,' he writes instead, 'the philosophers stone is on third-floor corridor on the right-hand side, under a trap door. It's unfortunately guarded by a three headed dog. His name is fluffy and if you ignore the sharp fangs he's sort of cute. Kind of like you.' Here, Harry taps the top end of his quill against his bottom lip. He shifts in his seat and leans closer to his desk, hunching across his parchment so it looks like he's taking notes. Behind him, Draco murmurs something to Parkinson that makes her snort. Hovering his quill above his parchment, Harry continues to write. 'When you come to the end of the obstacles, you'll get to an empty room with a mirror. It will only give the stone to someone who wants to find it but not to use it.' He underlines the word 'find' several times, just in case old Voldy might not quite understand. He signs it with a simple, 'with love, HP.'

Harry spends the rest of the lesson drawing little hearts all over the letter, imagining the disgusted face of Quirrelmort as he reads over it. It makes him giddy.

At the end of the class, Harry makes his way towards the owlery. He could have easily just left the letter on Quirell's desk without anyone knowing, innocent in its blank envelope. Except, Harry has the gnawing feeling that Hedwig is going to be very upset with him if he doesn't finally give her a letter to fly with. With a sigh, Harry ties the letter around Hedwig's leg. She hoots at him excitedly, her eyes shining. Harry can't help but smile. "Alright, girl. Don't let anyone except V see you." Hedwig gives him a confirming hoot and then flies off, gracefully tilting out of one of the many windows.

Apparently Voldemort decides to wait for his hunt for the Philosopher's stone. He stays at Hogwarts, keeps teaching Defense and every now and then he'll look towards Harry and his eyes will flash red. It always leaves a thrum of anticipation running through Harry, his scar humming and his stomach fluttering with butterflies. It's confusing, because he's used to his scar burning and bleeding and hurting in agony whenever Voldy so much as looks at him. He's not used to this... weird but pleasant hum. Like he's happy at the attention Voldemort is giving him. During one of the demonstrations, Voldemort keeps his gaze on him, his voice evens out, lowering into a tone Harry knows all too well and his eyes flash red. It makes Harry swallow dryly, his hair suddenly turning pink. It's not the usual bubblegum pink that makes you want to claw your eyes out either. This pink is softer, much lighter, more...something Harry refuses to name. Instead of questioning it, he pays it no mind and goes on with his day. By the end of the week, his hair is back to its normal dark colour.

Halloween arrives rather quickly. Pumpkins are carved with wide smiles, Muggleborns are in their element, there are hoards of sweets and candles are charmed to float above their heads. The Weasley twins explode a glitter bomb in one of the corridors just a day before the feast and the Professors try their hardest to keep everything in one piece. Harry sees McGonagall stalking around the great hall the next day with a serious face, her robes keep changing into bright colours and by the loud laughter from the Gryffindor table, he knows it's another one of the Weasley twins pranks. Dumbledore gives one of his short speeches, stifling a laugh as McGonagall takes her usual seat and then the Halloween feast is started.