7.

Chapter Seven: 

“I’m just saying,” Sai sniffs, “I think the cookie is the best part of the Oreo.”

Wow,” Zero breathes out, collecting the empty plates from table four. “I didn’t know we were Zero, Sherry and wrong.” 

“Ha, ha.” Sai deadpans when Rebekah laughs into her coffee. Kol easily slides into their booth, hair in disarray and grin wide. “Did I miss any good default defence mechanisms?” He asks, fluttering his eyelashes innocently. 

Sherry snorts, taking the plates from Zero. “Yeah, about four of them.” She gives Kol a teasing smile and then heads for the kitchen. 

“Aww,” Kol pouts. 

It’s early in the morning, the diner is empty safe for an old couple sat further in the back and the usual occupants of table four — minus Klaus, Elijah and Finn. 

“What are you even doing on that?” Rebekah asks, eyeing Sai’s laptop. It’s covered in stickers, colourful hearts and stars, skulls and other things. 

Sai pushes her sunglasses further up the bridge of her nose. She smirks, wolfish and predatory. “I’m making a compilation of all the moron like things Zero has done in his life.”

“Ha,” Zero deadpans. “You can’t add in every aspect of my life.”

“Duh,” Kol says, scooting over when Zero sits down beside him. The two then high five, gaze held onto Sai and expressions the same. 

Ew,” Sai feigns a shiver. “And I can.” She asserts, making a face. “I’m the brightest witch of my age, remember?” 

“You can’t be that powerful,” Rebekah leans her chin into the palm of her hand, the corners of her lips twitching in amusement. 

Making an offended noise, Sai opens her mouth; “challenge fucking accepted.” She stands to her feet, shuts her laptop closed and holds it under one of her arms. “I’ll see you bitches in a few days,” she turns her nose up in the air dramatically and leaves the diner with a flair. 

Sherry sighs, loud and suffering as she stops beside their table. She settles down two sets of plates, both filled with fries. One of them has blood poured all over them, the other plate had ketchup merely sat in the corner. It’s obvious which plate is for who. 

“What is that idiot up to know?” Sherry asks, stealing a bloody fry and quickly biting into it. 

“My fries!” Kol whines. 

“Pay better attention then,” Sherry shrugs her shoulders.

——

Three days later, Sai marches into the diner, doors flying open. She catches the immediate attention of everyone. Her long, black hair is a mess and her fringe which usually runs straight across her forehead sticks out at awkward angles. Slurping down the remnants of her coffee loudly, she scrunches up the cup and throws it over her shoulder. It flies over Klaus’s head as he enters behind the female and lands directly into the bin. 

“My most devoted followers!” Sai exclaims, throwing her arms into the air. “It has finally been achieved, after three tiresome days I have—”

“Did I miss something important?” Klaus cuts the female off, raising a brow. He walks past her, ignoring the glare she burns into the back of his skull. 

“Not really,” Sherry says, drying her hands with paper towels behind the counter. Kol is sat on top of it, swinging his legs to and fro as he munches down on a burger. It’s the middle of the night, the diner is officially closed and yet…

“I put up the closed sign for a reason,” Sherry mutters, shaking her head. “Don’t any of you have anything better to do?”

“Not really,” Finn says, tone mocking Sherry’s. He smirks at the female from where he’s sat at the booth closest to the counter. 

Sherry throws a nearby rag at him and it starts a scuffle. It’s a three way battle between Kol, Finn and Sherry — the three argue between each other, Sherry shoves Kol off the counter and Kol gasps loudly. 

“You whore!”

“Says the actual whore.” 

“Ha!” Finn barks a laugh.

“Rebekah,” Sai whines, falling into the seat beside the female. “Why isn’t everyone paying attention to me? I’m fabulous.” She leans right into Rebekah, fake crying into her shoulder. “Of course you are,” Rebekah assures as she pats Sai on the shoulder. 

Elijah merely sips at his tea from across the two, gaze slowly wandering around the diner. Noticing the absence of both Klaus and Zero, he strains his ears and hears the two talking to each other in the kitchen. Elijah hides a smile behind his cup of tea, the others haven’t seemed to notice yet.

——

Zero fiddles with the bouquet of flowers that he had received yesterday, back faced towards Klaus. He’s on the opposite side of the kitchen, fingers idly working through the expensive bow wrapped around numerous flowers. There’s three bouquets, one for each day that Klaus hadn’t visited Zero. They’re all placed inside vases, perched upon the counter far away from the stoves. 

“Do you like them?” Klaus asks. He’s leaned against the wall, head tilted ever so slightly as he gazes at Zero. The younger male is dressed in a white knitted sweater, it hangs lowly from his shoulders and falls just above his thighs. Klaus swipes a tongue over his lips hungrily, his chest aching suddenly. 

“Mhhm,” Zero hums, nodding his head. His fingers get tangled up in the smooth texture of the bow and he furrows his brows. “Would have been better if you gave me them yourself,” he mutters lowly. 

“Oh?” Klaus muses, tearing his gaze away from Zero’s rear. Instead he stares at the back of the other males head. His black hair is tousled, curling this way and that way. There aren’t any colourful clips pressed there today. Klaus wants to thread his fingers through Zero’s soft hair, pull his head back and bury his fangs into the soft flesh of his neck, he wants to claim and mark, to make him—

“Sorry,” Zero hurries to add. He untangles his fingers from the bow. “They’re pretty,” he says quietly. He turns around only to suddenly come face to chest with Klaus. He blinks, slow and purposeful. The scent of woods after rainfall and something dark is heavy in the air now, it forces out a quiet purr that has Zero leaning forward and nuzzling his face against Klaus’s chest. 

Swallowing harshly, Klaus wraps his arms around Zero’s waist and burries his nose into dark hair. He breathes in the scent of something fruity, the ache in his chest slowly easing out when Zero’s purr reverberates through him. 

This is a weakness, Klaus hisses at himself internally. A weakness you can’t afford. His chest burns back at him, like it’s telling him otherwise. 

Klaus growls lowly when Zero slowly leans away, cheeks flushed in a pretty shade of red and grey eyes hazy. He tilts his head backwards, exposing the pale length of his neck. “No biting,” he murmurs, voice a breath away from a whisper. His fingers curl around the material of Klaus’s jacket, eyes fluttering closed in an ounce of trust. He’s letting Klaus scent him—

This, Klaus thinks, is what’s finally going to get him killed. 

He lowers his head and buries his face into the crook of Zero’s neck, lips barely brushing against the skin there. Klaus curls his fingers around the males hips, tightening his hold until he’s sure there will be bruises left in his wake. He hears the sound of Zero’s breath hitching, feels the way the younger male tilts his head a little more like he’s trying to get even closer to Klaus. 

Klaus softly kisses Zero’s neck, humming when the body underneath his releases a content, little sigh. He parts his lips, reminds himself that he’s not allowed to actually bite, and instead presses his tongue into the nape of Zero’s neck and sucks. When Zero mewls, loud and soft and abrupt it makes the edges of Klaus’s lips curl into a smirk. 

After all, Zero never said anything about leaving a hickey. 

//unedited.