12.

Chapter Twelve :

"Hey, Zero. You just had a box delivered at my place," Sherry announces as she walks through the dinner doors. Her plum coloured hair is tied up in a messy bun today and there's a thin layer of liner around her eyes. "Weird, since you don't live with me. But not surprising, considering you haven't told anyone back home your new address."

Zero raises a single brow, setting mugs filled with coffee and tea and plates filled with slices of cake down onto table four for their usual occupants. Kol hurriedly reaches for the tiramisu and Rebekah sends him the stink eye, elbowing him in the ribs. "Ow!" Kol makes a face as he rubs a hand down his ribs.

"I wanted that," Rebekah scowls.

"Yeah, well, you should have been quicker." Kol sticks his tongue out childishly.

"Now, now, children," Elijah soothes, making it seem like he's reaching for a sugar packet when in reality he grasps the edges of the tiramisu's plate and swiftly pulls it towards him.

"Hey!" Kol whines. "That was mine."

"No," Rebekah stresses, "it was mine ."

"Actually," Finn pipes in, "that was meant for me." He looks purely smug as he takes the plate away from Elijah and settles it right in front of him. Digging his fork into the tiramisu, he brings a piece up to his mouth and obscenely moans around it.

"I'm jealous," Kol says, "very, very, very jealous."

"You do realise that they probably have more stock in the back?" Klaus makes an unimpressed face. He brings his coffee up to his lips, peering over the rim at Zero who immediately turns his gaze away.

"Is that why you're late?" Zero asks, stepping closer to Sherry.

"Late is an understatement," Sherry mutters, holding out the box to Zero. She flickers her gaze quickly around the dinner. "Where's Sai?"

"Here," Sai groans somewhere from behind the counter. She raises a pale arm into the air and it peeks over the counter. "I'm okay, just taking an impromptu nap."

Sherry sighs, long and suffering. Like she's in actual pain from being around beings with lower intellect everyday. "Whatever," she shakes her head and pushes the box in her arms closer to Zero, "are you going to take it or not?"

"Ew, no. That's a delivery from my mother," Zero steps away like he had just been burned. He eyes the box with distrust, specifically the part with the return address scribbled on. "The last thing she delivered was me and I'm still trying to clean up that mess."

There's muffled laughter from Kol and a snort from Rebekah, behind the counter at the front Sai is laughing, openly and loudly.

Sherry sighs. "Aren't you the least bit curious as to what she's sent you?"

"Ha," Zero deadpans, "unless it's a brand new childhood, I'm not interested." He turns to leave into the kitchen and Sherry follows after him. "Ah, ah," Zero blocks the door to the kitchen. "Throw that thing away. Let the bomb squad figure it out."

For a moment, Sherry looks like she might deck him, but then she rolls her eyes so far back Zero thinks she might need an exorcism just to get them back down. She drops the box by the door and then follows Zero into the kitchen once he allows her.