Chapter 9 - Soaring

"What did... you do?"

    "Are you listening to me Brady? We need to leave now."

    She grabs my wrist and I shake her off; "You killed her! You killed her, Mold!"

    "Yeah, and you would have done the same eventually. I just saved us the massive pain of an untrustworthy alliance."

    "I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THE SAME! What did I tell you... what did I just say yesterday, Mold? We weren't supposed to kill anyone if we didn't have to!"

    "No, you said you weren't going to kill. So the blood is on my hands, okay? Now let's just go, alright?"

    "It's not alright! It's not alright at all!" There's a thumping in my head, and I can't tell if it's from my blood, or from footsteps outside the room.

    "Listen, Brady, I'm sorry, all right? I apologize, it won't happen again. Now can we please just go?"

    "You killed her, Mold." I just feel heavy. So heavy.

    "And I'm telling you she would have died anyway."

    "Not on my w-"

    "YES SHE WOULD HAVE! THOSE TYPES NEVER CHANGE! THEY WOULD RATHER DIE THAN LOSE! THEY WOULD RATHER DIE THAN LOSE THEIR FORTUNE, THEIR EMPIRE! NOW SHUT UP AND RUN, OR YOU'RE GOING TO DIE NE-" She suddenly doubles over in a coughing fit.

    "God, what is it now?"

    "Just check and see if anyone is outside, alright? We can sort this out later."

    I take a deep breath and stretch my muscles; "Fine. Sort yourself out or I'll be the one to leave you behind."

    I jog over to the door, pressing my ear up against it. Nothing. And... from the looks of things there aren't any security cameras in this room. Visible ones, at least.

    "Odd..."

    I look over my shoulder to see Mold crouching over the corpse. "What is it?"

    "Huh?" she jerks her head back towards me; "Oh, nothing. Are we good to go?"

    "Yeah... are you good to go?"

    "Mhm."

    Mold jumps to her feet, hurrying over to me. With a nod to each other we push against the massive doors, and they slowly slide open. Then the thunderstorm starts. With blinding light and roaring sound, the hail of bullets rains down around us.

    "Brady!" Mold leaps through the air, tackling me back behind the wall. The assault stops almost as quickly as it starts. "Are you hurt?"

    "Yeah... yeah, just a little shocked? Are you...?" I trail off as I look down at her body. Small holes riddle her torso, with thin trails of blood pouring out of them.

    "Hey, hey, don't look at me like that, I'm fine. Just... just make sure that they don't get in here for a little bit, alright?"

    "But-"

    "Brady, just shut up and do something. Go push a table against the door or something."

    "Right... okay."

    I get up and swiftly cross over to the closer of the two long tables. Kuznetsov's corpse is still crumpled on the other side of it. I feel my stomach rise, and focus on the task at hand. The table has to be at least thirty feet long, absolutely ridiculous. And even if I could move it, what would be the point? The door opens outwards, the guards could get in anytime they wanted to.