Chapter 30: Break

I waited for the vines to snake around me, to once again bind me to that wooden throne. If she was going to get Lillian out, she was going to have to exorcise me again.

I glared at her, unable to do much else.

"Oh, dear, don't look so worried," Matilda said, with a crackling laugh. "We're not going to do another exorcism. Instead, we thought we might offer a deal."

"A deal?" Lillian echoed. I could feel her mistrust, same as my own. "What kind of deal?"

Matilda smiled. "If you willingly leave this girl and go merge with the Malix," Matilda nodded her head towards the knotted mass of roots in the corner, "then I will spare Luc's life and let him and Rachel go."

My heart sputtered to life. Spare Luc and let us go?

That's all we wanted!

Only... what would that mean for Lillian?

I turned inward, trying to feel out what she might be thinking. If she had heard my thoughts, she gave no sign of it.

What would happen to her if she rejoined with the Malix?

If she was still melded to it when it was destroyed?

Did that mean her soul was to be destroyed as well?

I couldn't let her do that.

Death was one thing, but destroying her soul?

No.

I opened my mouth to refuse Matilda's offer—

"I'll do it."

What? No!

"But I want your word," Lillian continued, narrowing my eyes.

I tried to speak, but Lillian wouldn't let me. She had full control of my body now.

Matilda smiled. "Of course," she said with a sombre nod. "You have my word and the word of the order that we will not harm them, now or ever." She held out her hand to Lillian.

No! Lillian! Wait! I screamed at her inside my head.

She ignored me. She had control of my body now. I studied Matilda's face—her paper-fine wrinkles, her moon-like eyes, her wispy white hair wound into a braid that trailed over her shoulders—searching for any sign of falseness. Matilda didn't flinch, just stared back with blank patience.

"Deal," Lillian said. She took Matilda's hand and clasped it tight.

Something surged between them, something that felt binding and final.

Lillian, no, you can't do this! I yelled inside my mind.

I have to, she responded, finally. She's right. Truth is, I've felt it there, that growing darkness. I tried to ignore it, hoping that maybe it'd go away once the Malix was dead... But...

My stomach sank. But what if this destroys you?

I'm willing to take that chance, she replied, if it means this thing is done for good. If it means that I can finally right my wrongs.

No! I replied. I won't let you!

Her soft laugh echoed through my head. And how will you stop me? Your arm is an open door, remember?

Matilda smiled, waiting, her gaze gently pressing into my face. I wondered if she could hear our conversation.

"If you want me to do this," Lillian said. "Then get your henchmen to let me—let Rachel go."