Chapter 8: Surprise

We sped over the bridge, back into the city. The car was heavy with anxious energy. I was squeezed into the tiny backseat with Polly; I was fidgeting while she had her head leaned back and her eyes closed. Tory and Ethan were in the front, with Tory at the wheel. He had all but screamed when Polly told him he could drive her Jag, which then led Polly to apply the condition that no one was allowed to speak while inside the car. Tory was happy to abide if it meant he could drive the Jag.

As we drove, Ethan kept glancing at me in the rearview mirror. I returned a weak smile each time, but it didn't seem to soothe the knot between his brows. It seemed more like he was checking on me. What was he looking for? Reassurance?

I had none to give.

We were already walking a thin line. An hour didn't exactly give us a lot of time to execute the plan—not that we had much of a plan to begin with. We had gotten as far as: show up, surprise him, and hope he gives me enough time to explain before... what? He locks me up again?

So simple.

And if he does listen, then what? He happily changes all his plans? He volunteers to do whatever we want? He has some magical way to get rid of my tag-along that's both quick and painless?

None of them seemed likely. But what else could we do?

I hated thinking of Luc like that... like he was someone to convince, outsmart. We were on the same team if only I could remind him of that. He didn't have to do this, carry this burden, all alone. There had to be some way we could work together...

I began to shake in my seat as we pulled into the neighbourhood. My whole body was surging with electricity. It felt like I could jump out of this car and run the rest of the way.

Tory pulled into the alley behind the shop and parked in a visitor space at the back of the hairdresser across the way. My seatbelt was already undone before Tory turned the car off. I hopped out and then just kinda bounced around in place, full of energy that had no direction.

"Chill out," Polly groaned, emerging from her own side. She was donning sunglasses even though it was a cloudy day. "You're giving me a headache just looking at you."

"It's not me giving you that headache," I teased, miming a swig from a bottle.

Though I couldn't see her eyes through her dark shades, I was sure she was glaring at me.

"He won't recognize this car, will he?" Tory, poking his head out the open driver's window. "Should I move it down the block?"

"Do we really need to go that far?" Polly sighed. "This isn't a spy movie."

"You have no idea how suspicious he is right now," Tory said.

"Do whatever you want, kid," Polly said.

He paused for a moment before deciding. "You know what? I'm moving." He slipped back in the window and started the car again. "I'll be back in a second! I gave Ethan the key. Get inside and hide before Luc shows up!"

We watched Tory drive further into the alley before we crossed and headed for the back door of the shop.

Seeing the building again made my skin go cold. I hadn't seen it from the outside since Luc had left. I had thought his golden cage had only encircled the interior... but in reality, it wrapped all sides of the building, inside and out, the gold writing shimmering even in the dull cloudy sunlight. How had no one on the street noticed it?

"What are you staring at?" Polly asked. She and Ethan were already at the door Ethan had the door unlocked and open, waiting for me.

"Luc's barrier..." I said, pointing at one of the golden veins spidering up the wall. "The gold writing."