Chapter 22: Find

I awoke in the dark. As my mind struggled to free itself from the fog of sleep, I tried to settle myself again. I was warm and comfortable, tucked into a familiar bed. Half conscious, I reached for Luc.

It was only when I grasped on cold empty sheets that I remembered.

The stab of pain that followed woke me up further.

I rolled over. Even just from the ceiling, I began to recognize where I was. I was back in the master, the room I had once shared with him. The moon was shining through the french doors, bathing the large room in cold white light.

Of course, he wasn't here. He was...

I wanted to fall asleep again, but I knew it would be impossible now. I didn't feel good—not nauseous, or with a creeping headache, or anything. But something heavy sat in the center of my chest. And it felt like it was slowly slipping through me, sinking down into my stomach.

Dread.

The sleep I had been having was blissful and unbothered, a nice escape from reality for a few hours, but I couldn't escape it now that I was conscious again. In fact, it was funny. You'd think in this the midst of this, my dreams would've been horrifying reflections of all I had seen. My life had never been more terrifying, but my sleep had never been so pleasant.

There's, uh, a reason for that, Lillian chimed in.

My whole body went rigid. She was still there. "What is it?"

You're not having nightmares because we're, uh, not using your dreams anymore.

I frowned at the ceiling. "Using my dreams?"

I could feel Lillian sigh through me. Yeah, before, when we were trying to warn you, we tried to tell you through your dreams. Only it wasn't a very effective form of communication...

I lunged forward, sitting upright. "All those times, all those nightmares," I hissed into the empty room, my voice low though it was only us—only me. I could feel my nerves crackle. "That was you?"

Well, not me, Lillian explained, her voice coming quick—she could probably feel my rising anger. One among us was a dreamcrosser, but it can be hard to get through to someone like you, who isn't... well... She stopped short like she realized she shouldn't have started that last sentence.

I didn't bother to ask. I didn't care. I was too mad to care. Those dreams... I had thought they were just my stupid brain working through all the bullshit that life had thrown at me. They had, in so many small ways, made my life hell. Weeks and weeks of never getting enough rest... It made what was already shitty enough practically unbearable.

"Well, thanks for preventing me from getting any proper sleep for fucking months," I grumbled.

I said it wasn't me, Lillian protested.

I flopped back into the bed and rolled over as if I could turn my back on her.

Besides, Lillian continued, you're one to talk after stomping around in my worst, most private memories.

I scoffed. "I couldn't exactly help that."

You could've turned away, Lillian said. But you were too interested. I could feel it. You watched it all. Her voice cracked with emotion at the end.

Guilt crept in; she was right—I had been interested, but it wasn't like I had done it intentionally. "I was half in shock. I didn't know what to do."

Lillian paused for a moment before replying. I know, she said. I just really wish you hadn't seen it. I wish I could wipe that from your memory. From my memory.

I didn't blame her. There was a lot of painful stuff in my memories that I wished I could erase, too. And even then no one had seen them but me.

Many had to do with Luc.

The dread sank lower.

"What are we going to do?" I asked.

It was a vague question that encompassed so many things, but she knew exactly what I was talking about. I have no idea, she said with a sigh.

I lay there for a moment before I jolted back up in bed. "No, wait," I said. "You do."

I felt her curiosity piqued.

"You did it before," I said, "when you sealed the creature inside you."

Uh, yeah, about that, she replied, her snark clear even from within my head. I didn't exactly succeed the first time, remember?

"Practice makes perfect?" I offered tentatively.

You're insane. Lillian's anger flared at the back of my mind. I had to fucking die for it, remember? So, you got anyone in mind for human sacrifice? Are you volunteering?

A chill ran over my neck. I had debated that in the cell at the headquarters—could I sacrifice myself to save someone? Not just Luc, but every girl that came after. No more Malix. No more girls added to the number. It would end with me...

I had forgotten to breathe. I gasped in air.

Don't be stupid, Lillian snapped, dragging me out of that little spiral. I'm not going to help you kill yourself.

"But you—"

That's different. I unleashed this thing, so I had to make it right, at any cost. You did nothing wrong—you got dragged into this mess because of me. We'll find someone else.

"Then, who?" I asked. I didn't relish the idea of offering someone up to die. But if someone had to die for Luc—and me—to live...

"Matilda?" I offered with a shrug.

Her anger simmered. I wish, she said with palatable hate. But good luck getting close enough to her to carve the seal into her skin.

I couldn't help but picture it, and the imagined scene made my stomach turn a little. "Yeah, but it would work, right?"

She groaned and I could feel her eyes roll. Yeah, sure, if you somehow managed to get back into The Gathered headquarters, incapacitate Matilda, carve the symbols into her skin, release the Malix and cast the spell, then yes, it would work. I think.

"Then that's what we have to do!" I said.

I felt her thoughts sputter in her head. Quit acting like it's that simple, she replied. Her irritation was rising again.

"I'm not underestimating the work that needs to be done," I said. "But this plan is better than what we have right now, which is nothing."

Lillian didn't have anything to add, but I felt her grumble.

"So, what do we need?"

You mean besides a body?

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's focus on our first steps. Step by step."

Lillian went quiet again. It was like she was mulling all this over, I could practically feel her wheels turning just behind my own. Well, we're going to need a lot more than just a body, she said at last. Fortunately, I know where to find it.

 Fortunately, I know where to find it