Chapter 28 - The Real Truth

...

It was pitch black for a few seconds. Then, all of a sudden, the screen lit up.

An image of Shuichi, looking directly in the camera, popped up.

"Hello? W-who are you?" he asked.

His voice was shaking. He was trembling and he was holding his cap. He was wearing clothes that seemed overly familiar.

Then, a voice rung in the silence, making him jump, letting out a small scream in surprise.

"Welcome, master. I'm glad to have you here! My name is Motherkuma, I will be in charge of making the Monokumas of this game."

I tried my best to keep my face neutral, as to not alert the cameras probably watching my very moves. I even grinned, to show I was enjoying it, when in reality, I was terrified. I'd heard of Motherkuma, but we barely got to see it since Keebo was busy destroying the school when they investigated the room.

"W-what? B-But why are you telling me this? Isn't it the whole purpose of the game to keep it a secret?" he asked.

Huh? He didn't know he was mastermind or...?

"Voice recognition activated, voice memorized. Software updated."
The machine buzzed, it's camera lagging for a few seconds. Shuichi still looked panicked as hell.

"Well, you are this game's Mastermind, it wouldn't be quite convenient for you to not know about your honorable servants."

"Excuse me?! I am what?!"

"You are my master, the Mastermind of this game. You are to make sure the game runs smoothly and according to the schedule provided by the gods, on the table over there."

I giggled to show the cameras I was enjoying what I was seeing. But what the hell? How did he not know he was the mastermind? Didn't he volunteer to become mastermind, like they told us?

Shuichi turned around and walked to the table, picking up a book. I couldn't read what was on it, but judging from his panicked face, it must have been something related to his identity as the Mastermind.

"N-No way... I'm really the Mastermind..."

He started trembling.

Motherkuma then told him everything about this game, from the motives, to the flashback lights, the different murder weapons and ways to kill someone around the school, Kiibo's role, his duties as the Mastermind and everything else... Shuichi was getting increasingly panicked and confused with each second passing.

Then, Motherkuma proceeded to explain how the production wanted to try out something new this year. They wanted to get genuine reactions out of the Mastermind to the executions and the characters' personalities, so they decided to keep everything about the other participants for themselves.

Then, I saw his eyebrows furrow in horror.

"I can't do this! Please choose another Mastermind, I-I-"

Tears started spilling out of his eyes as his knees gave out under him, in front of the camera. I felt my heart skip a beat from seeing him so distressed like this.

This was so disturbing. Yet again, the production lied to us.

"I just wanted to get rid of my stupid Danganronpa addiction and make friends, I wanted to become a better person, not make it worst! Please... I don't even care if you reject me from the game... just let me go back home..."

Silence filled the room, heavy and overwhelming. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Shuichi... he didn't want to be the mastermind...? Then why-