Chapter 35 - Visitor

SHUICHI POV [

"Shuichi! Hey Shuichi, look here!"

A flash blinded me and I blinked a couple of times, before smiling awkwardly. I felt the hands of the man push me on my back, towards the crowd. I panicked a little as I felt people trying to grab me from everywhere, trying to take pictures of me and even trying to rip some of my hairs out.

When I glanced around to try and find an exit to this madness, as people still tried to grab me for their pictures, I saw him looking at me with an evil smirk.

I frowned and felt tears starting to sting the corners of my eyes.

'I think I'm getting tired...'

I wiped my eyes with my sleeve as I took a shaky deep breath. I had to keep my composure if I wanted to survive the day.

To be honest, even if I were to pass out right here right now, I don't even think I would care. I used to think this would deeply embarass me but now, the floor seemed overly tempting and a little public humiliation would probably scare people away, so that would be much better.

But as much as I wanted to, I couldn't bring myself to do it, especially after seeing Kokichi yesterday.

He was smiling. They were all smiling at me.

Kaito even gave me thumbs up.

I don't know how they found out, but I have no doubts that this was definitely Kokichi's doings. Now that I look back on it, his behaviour with me had been really suspicious lately, especially that time when he came into my room when I was bed ridden.

A month ago, he looked at me with those hurt filled eyes. He was angry and seemed deeply affected by... my actions. I felt my heart squeeze a little when I remembered what I told him. I'll... definitely have to say sorry to him. And not just for that; for everything else too.

But then, his eyes started having that curious glint in them, the same gaze he had during our free times inside the simulation. He no longer glared at me with daggers in his eyes. This had confused me for the longest time, until I saw him yesterday.

'Of course he would find out about this... it's Kokichi after all.'

I mentally smiled at the thought, before I was snapped back to reality by someone pulling my hair, making me wince out in pain.

Please... just let this day end.

[...]

"Here, food for the night. Don't make a sound or you're not getting food tomorrow."

The guard threw me bean bread wrapped in plastic along with a water bottle [Funhouse vibes], before closing the metal door. I heard him lock the multiple locks on the door, before walking away.

'Why the metal door... and the dozens of locks... I can barely even stay awake right now, do they really think I have the strength to open it and escape?'

I sighed and rolled my eyes, before picking up the snack on the floor. I walked to the bed and sat on it, before starting to eat the food, taking my time to savour each piece of it.

They had moved me in a different room the day after they brought me here. It was nicer than the last one; it had a slightly comfier bed, a desk, where they had put some of my case folders that they somehow acquired, and a window. The window was thick and it was surrounded by a kind of metal structure that definitely seemed impossible to even attempt to break. But at least, I could look outside and get some sunlight in the room.

I haven't touched the case folders since I got here. Honestly, just the thought that they had probably gone through my stuff in my room while they got these angered me enough to not want to even look at them. It was probably petty, but with the way they've been treating me, I really don't want to please them by doing what they expected me to do.