two

"Thank you for the food" you all say in unison before the room is filled with the clinking of silverware and happy voices laughing and chatting.

"I can't believe this is the last breakfast we're having with Conny" Emma says. You nod in agreement as you watch her cut into her scrambled eggs while she's sat across from you.

"I hope her new mom is a good cook just like Mom" you say while taking the glass of orange juice and pouring it into your cup.

"Her food will be fine" you hear Ray say to the left of you. You turn your head and watch him reach for his mug of coffee "The food here is probably a lot worse than the food outside".

"Hey! I think the food here is amazing" Emma says almost inaudibly as a rebuttal to Ray, her mouth stuffed with food.

"I'm sure Conny's new parents are going to be really great cooks" you hear Norman say with reassurance to the right of you. You turn your head and see him looking into your (e/c) eyes "I mean cooking isn't hard at all, I'm sure everyone outside has mastered it". You shrug and turn away, continuing to eat your eggs.

You glance over at Conny, who's talking amongst the other younger children. Her eyes are lit up with excitement and hope as she shares what she thinks her new family is going to be like.

'I really hope Conny's new family will treat her as well as we treat her'

ˋˏ ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"Children, it's time to read out the results" you hear Mom say while she's standing at the front of the classroom. "Norman, Ray, Emma, and Y/n, perfect scores again!".

The sound of chatter rises in the room, younger ones in awe of the scores. "Those four are different huh", "Norman alone is smarter than all of us combined", "Ray can solve any problem he's faced with", "Emma is really fast so she can keep up with everyone no problem", "Y/n is like a human lie detector and she's the kindest to everyone" is what can be heard.

"Norman!" Don forces himself up and out of his chair "I'm challenging you to a game of tag!". Norman looks at him and smiles in agreement.

Once learning is over all the children gather on the field, with hopes of outsmarting Norman.

"Ready, set, go!" Emma yells as all the children run in different directions. Norman looks over to Ray who's sitting under a tree. Ray takes a pocket watch from his pocket, and after a few seconds he nods signaling Norman to chase after them.

"Is he gone yet?" you whisper to Ray as he looks up at you from his book.

"Yeah he's gone" he says looking into your eyes and watching you swing down from the tree branch you were previously sat on. You sit next to him and bring your knees to your chest, using your arms to hug them close.

"Have you read this yet?" Ray asks, looking up from his book and over to you. You lean forwards a bit trying to get a glance at the book title.

"I don't think so" you say as you reach for the book so you can turn the cover towards you "I've never seen this book before".

"Really? I would've thought you read it already" He says furrowing his eyebrows. You shake your head and look down at the book as he opens it again and continues reading. After some time, he nudges your shoulder and you look up at him.

"Hey, I think they're coming back" He says, pointing at the large group of children walking back from the forest. Emma runs over to the tree where you and Ray are sitting and throws herself on the ground.

"He caught me again! Why!" Emma wails as she throws a tantrum on the grass, banging her fists against the dirt.

"What does Norman have that you don't" Ray asks her, suggesting that he knows the answer.