eight

"Playing tag looks like fun" Krone says. She walks over to the circle you're sitting in as other kids crowd around her. "It's important that I get to know all of you better, so let me join in! This match will have a twenty minute time limit. I'll be it this round. Now then, run and hide". She puts down the small child that she was carrying on her back and walks over to the tree. She turns her back towards you and uses her hands to cover her eyes as she starts counting.

"One...two..." She begins. You meet eyes with Ray and you can tell that he's just as confused as you are. You then gaze over at Emma and Norman who look back at you with the same look. The children who were sitting in a circle moments ago start running in different directions, moving as fast as their little legs can take them. You slowly stand up and dust off your white skirt, making Ray do the same.

"I guess we should play" Emma suggests. You nod and take a hair tie from your wrist, putting it into your mouth. You use your hands to group your hair together and grab the hair tie, tying it around the hair forming a ponytail. You look over at Norman and Ray who both nodded as well. You wave your hand motioning for the group to follow you before jogging across the field. You stop and the group does the same as you reach the edge of the forest.

"If anything happens, meet back here okay?" You say as you look around the group and everyone nods. Emma and Ray start to run in one direction and you and Norman start to run in the other. The two of you run until you're faced with the small fence.

"We shouldn't go over the fence, it'll make us look more suspicious" Norman says before turning his head to you for an answer.

"You're right" You reply, "but where should we go". You look up in thought before getting an idea. The trees are low enough that Norman can climb them, but full enough that you can't see into them.

"Norman, I have an idea" You say gazing into his blue eyes. You point your index finger upwards, in the direction of the tree.

"Good thinking" He says while he puts his hands on his hips. You turn away from him and attempt to grab onto a branch but its height is far taller than you can reach. You then resort to plan B and run away from the tree before quickly running back to it and jumping, clutching the branch mid air. You take your other arm and swing it onto the same branch, using your upper body strength to pull yourself up and straddling it.

You look down at Norman who's still standing on the ground and watching you. You crawl over to where the branch meets the trunk of the tree and lean forwards. You stretch your hand out towards Norman and he takes your hand into his before you help him onto the same branch.

"Thanks" Norman whispers with a smile before it quickly fades. You smile back at him and look down at the distant grass below you.

"Sister Krone is probably going to try and find us first" You whisper making him turn his gaze towards you. "She'll just tag whoever she can on the way".

"Yeah. She seems oddly interested in the four of us" Norman whispers before turning his gaze from you to the ground. After sitting in the tree for around ten minutes, you still hear no signs of anyone.

"That's weird, why isn't she coming?" Norman asks but then he's cut off by the sound of rustling bushes. You look closer and see three small bodies walk into a clearing below you.

"Hm? What's this?" One asks before Krone comes sprinting from the left and scoops up all three of them. They sigh as she laughs and continues running in the same direction with the children in her hands.

"How'd she draw them all in?" You whisper in a slight panic. You look over at Norman and see that his eyes are widened. After being sure that she left, you quietly climb down and find a pile of leaves. You crouch over and examine them. Each one of the leaves has a hole in the shape of a heart, star, or triangle in the middle. You take one and climb back up the tree.

"She used these to lure them" You say as you hand Norman a leaf with a star cut into it. He takes the leaf and examines it, bringing it closer to his face.

"Hm. So she's smarter than we thought" He says while putting the leaf to his eye and looking out the star shaped hole.

"Hey Emma!" You hear in the distance. You turn your head in the direction you heard the noise and see Phil standing hand in hand with a blonde girl. You watch as Sister Krone sprints up to them but is cut off by Emma scooping the two into her arms and running away.

"Huh? What is she doing" Norman says as he watches the interaction take place. You look at him and he looks at you. You both know what to do and quickly get down from the tree, silently trailing Emma and Krone. You run after them trying to be as light on your feet as possible when suddenly you see Emma jump off the patch of grass and into a valley, and Krone doing the same shortly after. You continue to run at the same pace before looking over and seeing Norman start to sprint even faster than he was before. The two of you reach the small cliff and collapse onto your stomachs, having a perfect view of Emma holding the two children and Krone.

"You must be exhausted, Emma. You won't be able to move unless you rest" Krone states as she stays frozen in place. "Here's what I've learned." She starts to walk "Norman's weakness is his physical strength. I heard he was feeble when he was younger. Ray's weakness is that he's always a little to quick to give up. He makes decisions quickly but abandons them just as fast." She stops in her tracks and puts her hands on her hips. "Y/n's weakness is that she's too stubborn. Once she sets her heart on something she doesn't stop until she gets what she wants, which gets her into trouble more often than it should". You listen as she starts to name the cons of each and every member of your group.

"And you, Emma" She says as she spins around, "Your weakness is your naïveté. Like carrying others while you're being chased since they'd be helpless otherwise". Emma hugs Phil and the other girl closer as they sit behind a tree stump, covering their mouths because if any of them say a word they'd lose. Krone starts to walk in circles trying to search for the ginger and two children.

"Listen Emma. If you saw the harvest the other day..." Krone starts. You widen your eyes in fear as Norman and Emma do the same. Sweat starts to drip down Emma's face, "... then you should know I'm on your side".

Emma turns her head upwards and sees Sister Krone looking down at her from above the tree trunk, smiling in pleasure.

"I found you!" Krone sings making Emma and the two children gasp. You look at Norman and immediately stand up making him do the same. You sprint together in the opposite direction because of the realization that you two might be the only ones left, assuming that Ray was already caught. It's a likely possibility considering that Ray doesn't normally play tag with the others meaning he's more inexperienced than everyone else.

You run and start to hear heavy footsteps behind you. You turn your head and see the large woman sprinting full speed in your direction. You tap Norman on the shoulder and nod, signaling for the two of you to go separate ways. The platinum haired boy makes a sharp right as you make a sharp left, splitting from each other. You hear the footsteps grow fainter and fainter, meaning that she decided to chase after Norman instead of you. You continue in the same direction for a few seconds before turning around and running in the direction that Norman went in.

You run as fast as you can before coming across another valley. You see Krone standing in the lowest dip, looking at Norman who's standing on top of a large boulder. He glares at her while she stands there in shock. You look away from them and see a tall ravenette boy standing leveled with you but almost a dozen feet to your right. You sigh in relief as you realize he's still in the game and quietly make your way over to him. He places his index finger over his lips and waves his hand so that you follow him. He runs up behind the large woman with you following. He steps to her right and taps her on the arm. Krone looks slightly down at the boy in confusion.

"Your times up" Ray says as he takes his pocket watch from his pocket and faces it towards her. She stands there speechless while Norman calmly walks over to the three of you.

You, Ray, and Norman walk back to the field as kids cheer in your victory, Krone walking a few feet behind you. You wave at the crowd and smile as Ray and Norman do the same. You spot Emma in the crowd, she's smiling and waving too while standing next to Gilda who has a grim look on her face.