Chapter Sixteen

Five years later

Sunlight stabbed at Georgia's eyes. She pulled down the brim of her hat and looked behind her.

"How is Kami doing?" she asked.

Alex was riding behind her, holding up Kami in front of him in her saddle. Kami had a makeshift splint on her leg, and her eyes were sluggishly half-closed.

"Exhausted. But I think she's okay. We need to properly set her ankle soon."

Georgia stared ahead. Some tired buildings sat a few miles away near a small lake. "We're nearly there."

They rode on. When they reached the small hamlet, Georgia kept looking around anxiously, checking their surroundings for any possible danger. She knew that most or all of the zombies were probably cleared out a long time ago by the people that lived nearby, but knew too well that carelessness paid in blood. Georgia grimaced every time she thought of the deep mud pits near the lake where many of the hamlet's previous red-eyed inhabitants now permanently resided.

At the other end of town, there was a tall wooden fence with taller watchtowers. As soon as Georgia could make out the people sitting at their perches, she waved her arm wildly. "We need medical attention!"

One figure promptly vanished behind the wall.

When they reached the stronghold the gate opened easily for them. Georgia quickly slid out of her saddle and tugged her horse toward the stables near the wall.

"Traders! Do you have any letters from the south?" One resident ran over to her.

Georgia didn't even look at him. "No," she said coldly. "We need a medic!" She called again into the growing crowd of curious residents.

"Here!" A woman rushed to the gate. Georgia pointed towards Alex, who had managed to get Kami off the horse and was carefully holding her to his chest. The medic led Alex away and Georgia was left to fetch their horses to the stables.

She fumbled with her saddlebag before pulling out a few of her personal belongings.

A hand tapped her shoulder. "Georgia?"

She spun around, shoulders hunched. "Oh. Hello, Elle."

The muscled young woman wore a blacksmith's apron and had her long hair tied up with a piece of twine. "Are you okay? What happened to Kami?"

"She stepped in a hole while trying to run and broke her ankle," Georgia said shortly. "I need to talk to Phillip, now."

"What? Why?"

"Bandits."

"You think you were attacked by bandits?" Phillip questioned. "But we haven't heard of any bandits in at least two years. We thought every group broke apart or died out."

Georgia rolled out her shoulders and set her bow on the table along with an old map with pen markings all over it. They stood around a table in an office near the middle of the stronghold, with windows facing the activity on the main street. Phillip stood across from her while Elle stood by the door.

"We have been a reliable source of goods and information for the last three years," Georgia reminded him. "You have no reason not to trust me when I say this. I don't know how, or why, but there are bandits out there and now Kami is hurt," her voice cracked.

"Georgia, what happened?" Elle asked gently.

"Yesterday, we were attacked by a group of rogue traders when we packed up camp. Kami lost her horse and got hurt but we managed to get away. They could have done so much worse.

"We met them the day before at another stronghold. I could recognize their faces if I needed to, no problem. They left in the night but I guess we still managed to get a bit too close. That or they were waiting for us somewhere."

"That's really strange," admitted Phillip.

"It's more than strange," Georgia drew their attention to a few little blue dots on the map. "These are where other traders we've met have warned us about bandits in the last few months. Some even warned us about aggressive traders. Disguised bandits." She made a disgusted face as she rested a finger on the map. "Conveniently in the middle of it all is Stronghurst stronghold. Which is only two days of riding from here. They must be profiting from this somehow."

Phillip leaned closer to study the strange markings on the map. "You think they're responsible? These bandits could be holed up anywhere."

"I have a feeling. Especially since one stronghold with high reports of these groups fell a few weeks ago. Strongholds don't just fall anymore, not now that we have a vaccine." She frowned. "Word is that power recently changed hands at Stronghurst, but no one knows why or how or who this new leader is. It's too quiet to not be suspicious."

Phillip nodded slowly, "You're right, we haven't heard anything from Monica in too long. What are you proposing?"

Georgia looked at him. "I wanted to ask if Kami could stay here while she recovers. She really is a sitting duck like that outside a fence. And Alex would want to stay with her. While I check it out."

"By yourself? But it could be dangerous."

"I can manage fine by myself. I'll attract less attention that way, and someone needs to see what's going on over there. But I can't let these bandits hurt anyone else." She held her breath and watched him from across the table.

He nodded. "Kami and Alex can stay as long as they want. You too. You are friends and will always be welcome here. But I won't force you to stay."

A relieved smile broke over her face. "Thank you." She gathered her things and headed out the door. "Thank you!"

Elle stepped aside but looked on, arms crossed.

Georgia ran to the infirmary, stopping for directions at the front desk for only a moment. Soon she found herself in a small room where Kami lay asleep on a small cot, fresh plaster on her ankle. Alex sat on a nearby chair where he let his head hang limply, probably also asleep.

Georgia dug in a pocket in her bag and approached Kami. "I'll be back before you know it," she said quietly. She gently set a small bear carving on the bedside table beside Kami where it sagely watched over her.

She turned to Alex. "And you watch her, okay? Don't get into any more trouble."

Being asleep, he didn't respond.

Surveying the room one last time, Georgia reluctantly turned and left.