Chapter Three

A pair of hands grabbed her arm and yanked her to her feet, pulling Georgia to the door at a speed her shocked mind couldn't properly comprehend. She let the umbrella fall from her grasp.

Surprised that Georgia was no longer on the floor, the zombie didn't have time to slow down. The momentum caused it to hit the front window head-on. Disoriented for only a second, it snarled as it saw Georgia slip out the door.

Once they were out, Kami let go of Georgia and pushed her aside. She reached for the door and pushed hard, just as the zombie rammed into the glass again. The force jolted her backward, but she and Alex quickly forced the door closed until Alex was able to keep the doors shut with a stray broom handle.

Unable to catch his prey, the zombie scrambled at nothing, his grotesque face sloppily pressed on the window. His warbled growls gave Georgia shivers.

Kami stepped closer despite her trembling, ignoring the crazed red eyes and razor teeth. "Check your hours of operation, 'cause you're closed," she said fiercely.

Georgia felt another pair of arms around her and gasped, but realized it was just Alex. She hugged him back, but her gaze stayed on the trapped monster.

Kami kept her eyes on the door. "What should we do?"

Georgia grimaced as whatever red stuff that was on its face was smeared across the glass. "Definitely call the authorities. And get out of here."

Kami pulled out her phone and typed on the keypad, putting the phone up to her ear. She quickly pulled it away. There was a loud dial tone. She stared at her screen. "No service."

A car alarm echoed down the street. They all spun towards the sound. Kami's voice turned shrill. "I don't think this is an isolated incident."

They heard faint screaming. Around two dozen people were awkwardly wandering around the street, some banging on doors and cars. Even from about thirty feet away, their stiff movement was far too familiar. The light caught on the eyes of one of them, reflecting a dull red.

Alex grabbed Georgia and Kami by the arm and sprinted across the street to the car. "Doesn't matter now, we need to go."

Georgia's toe hit the curb, causing her to stumble, but Alex pulled her on. They reached the car with the first of the gathering horde entering the parking lot.

Alex punched the gas before anyone could think about seatbelts, and within minutes they were out of town for good.

None of them spoke for a long time.

"Where are we going?" asked Kami.

Alex glanced at her through the rearview mirror. "Away from here."

"Doesn't your Gran live in the other direction?"

"Yes." He was quiet. "Maybe we can circle back."

Georgia stared out the window. "Why is this happening?" she said quietly.

"Wait," Kami exclaimed, "I've got a signal!" Georgia turned around in her seat to face her. Kami frowned, her eyes scanning the screen.

"What's wrong?"

"This article," she replied softly. "It's on national news." She began to read aloud.

Breaking news: This weekend several thousand people are reported to have developed rabies-like symptoms after severe seizures, causing them to attack others, including friends and relatives. Infected individuals are also said to have red irises. These seizures appear to occur after a short period of intense sneezing. If you see an infected individual, keep them contained and contact your local authorities. Stay inside. If you believe you are infected, stay away from others to prevent the spread of infection. Authorities ask that all remain calm.

All reported cases are expected to rise at an unknown rate, with many cases being reported from other countries around the world. The Public Health Agency of Canada, the World Health Organization, and various other organizations are studying the outbreak in order to prevent further spread of disease.

"This is just crazy," Kami finished. "Actual zombies."

Georgia looked at Alex. "That other cashier, the zombie, he was sneezing a lot last night, remember?"

Alex clenched his jaw. "Yeah. And I guess we know what happened to the kid."

"Why is this happening?" Georgia turned back to Kami. "Does it say how this all started?"

Kami tapped on her screen a few more times. "Nothing. And now I'm out of signal," she grimaced.

Georgia sat up quickly. "Alex!"

Another figure stumbled into the road from behind an overturned car, its clawed hands outstretched.

Alex jerked the wheel and kept speeding past.