fifteen -edited-

I still haven't talked to Jacob, but it's become a habit for Embry to climb into my room when he finished patrols, waking up before me so he can leave before dad sees him. Today just didn't go as planned, Embry and I had stayed up a bit too late, so when dad came up to wake me, he also woke up Embry. "Elizabeth!" I sit up quickly, turning to my dad. "Why is he here?" I turn to find Embry still asleep in bed beside me. "I-" "The truth! You're not sleeping together-" I stand, shaking my head. "Oh, God! Nothing like that! He just comes over to help me sleep!" My face goes red as Embry slowly starts to wake up. He sits up, scrambling off the bed and dropping to the floor. I drop my head into my hands, sighing. "He already saw you, Embry."

He slowly sits up, his hands on the bed with his eyes just barely above the side of it. "Did she get in trouble?" When my dad shakes his head Embry stands, walking toward me. "Nothing is going on, Chief Swan, she just needs sleep." My dad nods, stepping forward. "You better hope so, she's only sixteen." He threatens in his police voice. I turn my dad around, pushing him toward the door. "Go. Please. I'll be down in a moment." "Watch yourself, son." Dad points at him before leaving. When the door shuts Embry wraps his arms around my waist, setting his chin on my shoulder. "I should've left earlier." "It's my fault, I kept you up late cause I never shut up." I chuckle when he turns me to him. "You have school, Elizabeth!" Dad shouts from downstairs.

"Go, so I can get dressed without my dad making it weird." He grabs my face, kissing my forehead. "I'll pick you up after school. Be down before I leave." He walks out and I change as quickly as I can, running down to him. I bump into Embry, not being able to stop myself when I look over and see Jacob standing in the living room. I trip over my feet when I go to take a step, his arm wraps around my waist, quickly catching me. I push myself away, grabbing my bag. "I need to go." I grab my keys and press a kiss to Embry's cheek, setting my hand on Jacob's arm before walking out. Right before I can shut my truck door a hand stops it. "Why do you keep leaving?"

I look up, not into his eyes but just below them. "I'm gonna be late, Jacob." "Then I'll pick you up after-" I shake my head, cutting him off. "Embry's picking me up. I have to go. I'll see you later." I huff, closing my door all the way. "I'm not supposed to be around him." I remind myself repeatedly under my breath. It's not safe to be around them, in all honesty, I shouldn't be around Embry either. I pull my bottom lip between my teeth, thinking about whether it would be easier to cut it off or just ignore them. I can avoid them altogether or continue putting myself at risk by hanging out with literal wolves.

Throughout the school day, both Embry and Jacob text me multiple times, by lunch, I have fifteen to twenty text messages from each of the boys, and one from Sam. I sigh and open Sam's. 'Boys are worried, something going on?' I sigh before responding. 'Dad found Embry in my room, both Jacob and Embry want to pick me up after school and I'm not even supposed to be around either of them.' Bella catches me in the hallway, holding my arm to stop me from walking away. "So uh, do you wanna go for a walk or hike at some point?" My brows furrow as I step back. "A hike?" "Uh, yeah." I hesitate looking down at my phone before dropping it in my bag and nodding. "Yeah."

She nods and starts to walk away before turning to me again. "You're actually gonna come with?" I nod with a shrug. "I need a break. I'm gonna go with." She smiles breathing a breath of relief, taking my hand. "It might be boring but I went to this place with... him at one point." I nod again, pulling my hand away. "Alright well, I've got class, let me know when we're doing this little hike." I shrug thumbing behind me. Maybe that'll get my mind off the guys. She nods quickly, motioning to the hallway. "Yeah, of course. Go ahead." I walk away, my phone vibrating in my bag again I sigh before yanking it out, and slamming my thumb on the answer button as I walk.

"What?" "Elizabeth, can we-" I cut him off, shaking my head despite the fact that he can't see me. "Embry, I'm sorry. I love you but I can't be around you. Bella keeps getting suspicious that I'm hanging out with you and Jake and what if it was her who walked in this morning? I don't wanna lie to her anymore." He sighs. "I knew this was coming. You personally need to tell Jake. I love you, Elizabeth." "I love you too, Em." I sigh as the phone clicks. The only true friend I've had, now completely down the drain because I fell for my sister's best friend. I stop in my tracks, looking down at my feet. Holy fuck. I just admitted that I fell for Jacob. Oh, God.

Maybe Charlie can come to pick me up, I'll tell him I don't feel good, I can go home and avoid being around Jacob for a while. I quickly call my dad, ducking into the bathroom to avoid the teachers. "Hey, kiddo, why are you calling me at school?" "I don't feel good. Can you come pick me up?" I hear him sigh from the other side before answering. "You went and saw Jacob, didn't you?" I chew on my nails, dropping my head. "There's a possibility I did that night when I said I was at Embry's." "Elizabeth-" I quickly cut him off after he says my name like that in his police voice. "I wanted to make sure Billy had eaten because Jacob got sick and he's trying to take care of him alone."

"Well then, at least you didn't just go over cause you could." "Of course not. But despite that, I still don't feel good and I just wanna go home." I wait for a moment, holding my breath as heels click on the floor outside the bathroom. "I'll be there in ten. Go to the office and wait." "Yessir, Mr. Dad sir." I giggle and hang up, walking out and down to the office to wait for dad. I pretend to be sick as my dad gets here so he doesn't make me stay. "Let's go, kid." He walks in, police uniform and everything meaning I'll be in the cruiser. "We gonna ride in the cruiser?" "Duh. We can even get food on the way home." He elbows me as we walk out to the car, a small side smile on his face as well.